2• My Troublesome Sibling

A/N: Hey precious gems, The title sounds juicy right? I hope you enjoy this chapter. Please vote before reading and add this book to your library to get notified when I update it and also to your reading list ❤️

~Khadijah~

I felt embarrassed that I had forgotten my main reason for leaving the house so early. The girls might have noticed but decided not to remind me because I was In a bad mood. Now I was in big trouble and if I turned back, I would be humiliated. If only my big ego hadn't gotten the best of me. I felt frustrated.

What would mama say? will she be very angry at me?

Of course she will!
She will call me a lot of names and I won't be able to bear the shame.

I had no other option but to keep on walking and accept my fate. The sun slowly appeared and Mama must have woken up. I stepped on the concrete floor in front of the house and dusted my slippers then I kept my buckets on the floor and entered into the house. I walked into my room and I was happy that I didn't bump into Mama.

My sister, maryam was already awake and she yawned, placing her palm on her wide opened mouth before greeting me

'As Salamu Alaikum, Ya Khadijah' She said rubbing her eyes.

"Wa Alaikum Salam,"I replied.

"Where is mama?" '

"She just left, she went to Umma Godiya's house." Maryam replied.

I felt instantly relieved. Umma Godiya was Mama's close friend and she would probably spend a lot of time there but I still had one more problem. If I decided to fetch water now, it wouldn't have enough time to do other chores.

Although the house chores were shared between I and my two sisters, I had more work to do because I was the eldest. The twins were restricted from doing house work but I detested the idea. Occasionally, I would tell them to wash some plates or even sweep the house. It won't kill them if they did some chores. When Mama caught them doing any work she would fire at me and scold me but I still did it anyways, remembering to tell them to work really fast because they were sluggish.

"What's the problem?" Maryam asked.

I better tell her that I need help but it sounded quite weird in my head.

"Nothing, I just need some rest besides don't you have work to do? Go get a broom and sweep this house." I commanded.

"Okay." Maryam obeyed and walked out of the room before I called her back.

"Come back here!"

"Na'am? (Yes)" She answered slowly walking into the room.

I completely forgot the reason why I called her back in the first place before I remembered that we had a reservoir drum which she usually filled to the brim on Saturdays.
"Is the drum full?" I asked.
"Yes it is."
"Okay, you can go". She left the room sluggishly.

You might be wondering why I treat Maryam rudely. Well I'm about to answer your question. Maryam is the second child of my parents and the most troublesome person in the house.

I give her all the love a big sister can give to a younger sister and she repays me by reporting my slightest mistakes to mama. Once, she failed to cook when it was her turn and I reported her to mama after telling her to do it or else she would see the other side of me. She didn't comply and I had to report her.

After receiving mama's shouts, she didn't do the work. She was still angry and went to the kitchen passage to mutter everything to herself. I passed through the kitchen passage and into our small kitchen space at the backyard to help her with her work, like the compassionate big sister that I am.