5• We've Landed In Trouble

~Khadijah~

Immediately we got home, Maryam went straight to Mama's room and sat beside her on the mat. "Mama, why did you sell our land in the first place? Now we're in big trouble," Mama felt deeply angry and I could see it in her eyes. As if it wasn't enough she kept on talking.

"This is all Umma godiya's fault. You should stop talking to her. That woman is an enemy of progress," she said and I eyed her.

"The woman's children are already enjoying their lives outside this village. Some are even studying abroad. She doesn't have anyone to talk to so she thinks it's better to disturb you. You have children to take care of , Mama." She continued.

"You don't have manners anymore right? How can you talk that way? You know that this has happened already and instead of bearing with Mama you're busy saying rubbish!" I fired back at her. Maryam looked at me then I turned to face Mama but still felt her gaze on me.

Her anger died down and she was glad that I had spoken up for her but she still looked worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked Mama squatting and placing my right hand on her shoulder. She burst into tears immediately and bent her head. She signaled for all of us to sit on the mat. We sat down in front of her and adjusted while the twins who were already seated scooched closer to us.

"I regret my actions," Mama started.

"I'm sorry for what I've done, I'm deeply sorry. I feel ashamed."
Tears started falling from her eyes. I started crying too. I leaned closer to her and lay my head on her shoulder. Hauwa and Maryam leaned on my shoulders and also started crying.

"Don't worry Mama, we understand. We just need to look for a solution," I said and sighed.

"What if we visit some of uba's siblings that live here in the village , they might help. They won't reject us for sure," Hauwa said startling all of us who were thinking of ideas. She said just what I had in mind and what I had thought of last night. The sister bond.

"That's a good idea," I said. The twins kept on looking at us, they seemed a bit confused though I was sure they knew that something had to be wrong.
"We can go now. We could visit kawu (uncle) Musa first,". Maryam suggested.

Kawu Musa lived in our village with his family of seven. He was the first son married to one wife and he had five children who were all grown up. His last child was already in the third level of university and the rest were already married. We were the only ones who didn't attend school.

I braced myself and sighed. "Let's get going." I told my sisters who followed me as we left the room. We started walking and soon, we were standing in front of a painted bungalow just by the side of the road. I walked over to the door of the white and grey painted house and knocked.

After waiting for a long time without getting any answer, I sighed and waited then knocked again. The door was made of finely polished wood and it was so nice and shiny unlike ours. The hinges on our rough wooden front door were already damaged and if not for the metal bolt used in locking it, thieves could come at anytime and break into the house. The flimsy wood could be easily broken by any muscular person with a good axe.

I looked away from the door and faced my sisters. Maryam's arms were crossed and she kept her gaze on the door. She got impatient and started tapping her right leg on the floor. Just then, I heard a familiar voice and turned to see Nuhu, Kawu Musa's last son. It felt so good to see a cousin after a really long time and I felt an unexplainable joy in my heart.

"As salamu Alaikum." he greeted with a wide grin on his face. "Wa Alaikum Salaam." I replied
"How is Aunty Hadiza?" He asked. I felt annoyed. We've been waiting here for minutes and you're just opening the door now. Stop asking us questions and let us in!

"She is fine." I managed to say. He ushered us into the house. "Take a seat," he said and we sat on the soft furniture in the sitting room. The house was so beautifully decorated and the sweet scent of turale wuta filled the air.

"So, why have you come?" Nuhu asked still standing.
"We came to see Kawu Musa. Is he at home?" I asked.
"Yes, but he was making a phone call. Let me go and tell him that you're here," I gave him an 'okay' signal by nodding my head and he went in to call his father.

Few seconds later, Kawu Musa came in with Nuhu behind him. He was wearing a pair of glasses with a black circle frame and a grey jalabiya. We stood up and salame-ed. He took a sit on the biggest armchair in the room before he answered us.

"Wa Alaikum Salaam. How is your mother? I hope she is alright," he said "yes she is," I answered.
"Alhamdullilah!" He exclaimed
"So why are you here?" He asked shortly after.
"We came to ask for a favour. You see...," I said narrating what happened earlier between mama and the fraudster. He nodded and hummed while I spoke. When I was done talking, he let out a final nod "hmmm, I see."

He said finally then adjusted his glasses and sipped some water from the plastic bottle on the side table in front of him.
He let out a sigh of refreshment. " I have heard what you have said but I cannot help you," he said leaving me completely shocked. "B...but you're his brother, uncle. At least help his family." I begged placing my right hand on top of the other.

"This is beyond your understanding and you may not know this until you're older, I cannot help you." He clarified.
What is it that I won't understand? I'm fifteen and I'm the first child. I'm responsible enough so they shouldn't keep this away from me. A sad frown graced Hauwa and Maryam's face.

"Uncle please just help us. We're sorry for whatever might've happened in the past. Please pity us." Maryam begged leaning forward on her seat. "My decision is final. You should start leaving. By the way, there is no need asking your other uncles for help. They'll give the same reason." He said and walked out of the room.

His comment torpedoed my expectations. What will we do now? Why is all this happening to us? I wonder what Mama is hiding from me? I deserve to know.

A/N: The title of this chapter is funny right. 'We've landed in trouble' *land-ed* 😁.
But I actually feel sorry for Hadiza and her children 😪 How will they be able to fend for themselves after losing their only source of income now that their family members don't want to help them?

What is the big secret they're hiding from Khadijah and her sisters? Or do her sisters know?

*Dramatic music*

Find out in the next chapter.

Thank you all for your votes and comments in the previous chapters.

Please vote, comment and spread the word.
Remember, I update this book at least twice a week.

All the x's ,all the o's ❤️
-Kosy💎