7• Danger

Hassana's POV

I sat on the edge of my bed, still thinking about what Baba had said earlier. Aunty Aliya's phone started ringing and I rubbed my face with my palms before she ran into the room. She picked her Samsung from her bed on the top bunk and smiled before swiping right to answer. I immediately knew it was Mallam Ali.

He was either calling because he would come late for the lessons or the lessons had to be cancelled. Aunty Aliya only smiled whenever he called which made me suspect that the two had something going on.

"Good afternoon." She greeted and smiled. I glanced at her and I had the sudden urge to laugh when I saw the sheepish smile on her face. She gave me a 'would you stop' look but I couldn't stop. I held my stomach and rolled on the bed but she kept on replying Mallam Ali with words like 'okay' 'mhm hm' 'i'll tell her'. She gave me a creepy look and slid her index finger across her neck and my laughter died down.

I used to feel so annoyed whenever I remembered that I was the only girl in the house. She was Baba's younger sister's daughter which technically meant that she was my cousin but I referred to her as my aunt because of the huge age difference.

Soon enough, she was done with the call.
"Mallam Ali called, he said he couldn't make it today and he'll be going to Khadijah's house instead."

She said and kept her phone on her bed then walked out of the room without expecting me to answer.
I stood up and walked over to the refrigerator in the passage. I brought out a bottle of coke and some chin chin then I pulled the curtain to the side and walked into the sitting room. Khadijah smiled when I handed her the snacks.

"I think I should go now," She said

"I'll escort you home then."
She stood up and I called Usman to lock the door behind us.

~~°~~°~~

Mallam Ali had already arrived at their house. He was having a conversation with Khadijah's mother at the front passage while Hassana was discussing with Khadijah and her sisters.

(Mallam = Teacher)

"The commissioner is in town and he's already working on the project. You know what that means," He began.
Hadiza sighed.
"I can't believe the time is near, all this is just happening too soon,"

"You'll just need to tell her the truth, it will break her heart if she finds out at the wrong time,"

Hadiza sighed again.

"I wish all this hadn't happened in the beginning,"

"There's nothing anyone can do about it. It's unfortunate that those in power are the only ones that can decide the fate of commoners like us,"

"I'll try and see how I can do that, thanks for informing."

"I need to take my leave, greet the children for me," Ali said while slowly getting up from the wooden bench he was seated on.

"I will." Hadiza said and bid him farewell.
She walked into her room and sat on her mat and sobbed silently.

Hadiza's POV

I couldn't believe all this was happening so soon. Nasir, how could you do this to us, how could you do this to your own family?

I sobbed. All this had happened four months ago. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Just then, I heard the honk of a car outside.

"Mama!" I heard Maryam scream and dash into the room.

"Mama, someone is here and he's looking for you. The man has a big car and he seems to be someone important."

Oh no! He's here?

"I'll be there soon tell him to wait." I said

"Okay," she dashed out of the room. I freaked out for a moment and quickly wore my slippers then left the room.

I was greeted with the large figure of a bald, dark skinned, pot-bellied man. His lips were thick black probably due to excessive smoking. He wore a grey kaftan and held a pipe. He was surrounded by three strongly built bodyguards all dressed in black and white tuxedos and black square framed shades.

I stared at him for a while before I turned to see my children and Hassana looking at me from the passage. I stared at them and they knew what I meant. They hurried into the house and shut the front door.

I didn't dare say a word as I stood face to face with the scariest man on earth, at least he was to me. What if he had come here to kill me? It wasn't a big deal for him and if he did, he would definitely get away with it.

He inhaled the substance which I assumed was tobacco from his pipe and let the smoke out through his nose. He didn't open his mouth, he took a few steps closer to me and I had the sudden urge to hold my breath.

The foul stench from his mouth was unbearable and I was immediately in need of one of those itchy face masks that Umma Godiya had gotten from one of her sons in the city at the beginning of the lockdown. I had gladly collected it but after wearing it several times, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to stop using it and its been abandoned up till now.

"The girl... The girl will be leaving very soon. Get her ready." He said then inhaled from his pipe and exhaled. He reached his hand into his pocket.

Is he bringing out a gun? I thought.

He brought out a white handkerchief and wiped his sweaty face. He just came out from his air conditioned posh car and he's sweating? I wondered.

"Is the girl ready? Because I don't think I should waste much time! If she isn't anything could happen... and I mean anything,"

So this is how my girl will be married off to this old man? Just like that!

"Give us some time please, we'll figure out a way to go about it." I begged

He smirked and glanced at his bodyguards then looked at me and puffed out some smoke.
"Okay then, I give you three days! Three days and if she's not ready by then, you all will have to pay with your life!!"
He shouted and walked proudly to his black Jeep with his bodyguards behind him. One of them opened the door for him then he got in and he shut the door for him.

Another got to the driver's seat and put the car in gear. The other got to the passenger's seat and they were off zoom... Just like that leaving me to worry alone, without my Nasir who was the cause of all this.

A/N: Thanks for reading this chapter gems, I hope you're enjoying the story so far.

What do you think about Idris' character?

Don't forget to vote, comment and share this story with your friends.
See you soon when I publish the next chapter 😊😁

All the X's, all the O's ❤️
- Kosy💎