1• An Ungrateful Friend

Uba's death left me in this condition. I had more responsibility on my hands now. Taking care of mama and my siblings, fetching water from the well every blessed morning and helping out at the farm which was the most strenuous.

Today was no different. I would be fetching water at the well but it would be enjoyable because Hassana would be escorting me. She gossips a lot and always gives me a reason to smile even when I feel like I have every reason to be weighed down.

I was on my way to the well and I couldn't wait to meet with her. I just couldn't believe it, uba was really dead and I saw his lifeless body right after he was gone. It all happened so fast and I still felt like I was in a dream but in reality, he was gone. For good. I had changed from that young girl who was always cheerful to a gloomy girl who thought there was nothing in this world to be grateful for.

He was so caring, he was the only person I could look up to. Mama wasn't always around, always at her friends houses gossiping. I had always had two thoughts about her being my real mother. I looked more like uba anyways. I used to think that nothing would bring us closer to each other but she's slowly changing just because he was gone.

I smiled when I spotted Hassana at the other lane of the road but I was shocked to see two unknown girls standing close to her leaving Hassana in the middle. She stopped walking and stood in place. I was confused and I ran to her.

I was just a few inches close to her when I opened my mouth to speak but she beat me in talking.

"As Salamu Alaikum Khadijah. I know what you want to say, ma raba da zuwa (you're welcome)." She said beaming and feeling pleased with herself.

"Wa Alaikum Salam. What are those two doing here?" I said returning the greeting.

The two girls standing close to her frowned immediately and I eyed them.

"Please don't be offended, I'll sort things out" she told them and dragged me softly by the hand until we were far away from the girls.

I kept the buckets I carried earlier beside me and tied the rope around the handles. Hassana signaled me to reduce the tempo of my voice before speaking.

"Why are they here?" I whispered.

"Don't be angry. They're my classmates and I brought them here to make you feel more comfortable but I think the reverse is the case now,"

"Yes it is. What were you thinking when you brought them here? You know I don't feel comfortable around new people, "

"You can't keep hiding the fact that you've not healed from your father's death, you need help and you won't heal by isolating yourself Khadijah. You've become too quiet and it's not good for you. I need my old friend back!"

"How are you sure that I need help? I'm fine."

"Dijah," Hassana said placing a hand on Khadijah's shoulder. "You know this isn't who you are, you have to let go of the memories of your late father and I'm more than ready to help you."

'late father?' When did Hassana start talking this way, she knows that I really miss my father but she still uses the words that hurt me the most.
Death became my enemy after taking away my father, my best friend. I still feel that uba is alive and he's watching over me.

I felt very angry. I breathed heavily trying to stop the tears in my eyes from falling freely just like they wanted to. Hassana kept on talking.

"Khadijah, just get to know them. I know you will like them."

"That's enough" I blurted out and my tears started falling freely, freedom at last! I felt angry and sad at the same time. A mixture of both. Hassana became my greatest enemy and I cursed the day I met her. I was angry at her and at myself. She didn't understand me. No one did. I couldn't explain why I felt angry at her. Maybe it was because she was trying to help me? Curse my empathetic soul for trying to understand her intentions.

One part of me regretted treating her this way and another part of me regretted nothing. She stood there in shock and stared at me. The girls were also staring at me.
I thought they would laugh at our silence but they were speechless and their hands were folded, they kept on watching our fight in awe. It was like a play to them and they were thinking of my next move, would I just stand there and keep crying or walk away angrily? I also had no clue as to what I would do next. I felt frustrated.

Hassana kept quiet when she saw the tears falling from my eyes, I knew she felt bad for me and she just wanted to help but I was feeling ungrateful for having a friend who cared so much about me. She was just revealing the bitter truth which I was very reluctant to accept.

I wiped my tears, picked up the two buckets I had kept some minutes ago too aggressively. I turned back and stomped my way home leaving the three behind whose eyes were still fixed on me.

I knew I was pretending not to understand Hassana's intentions and I ended up behaving like an ungrateful baby.
Considering the way I exited, they would probably be thinking that I regret nothing but I regretted everything. I still felt like I had every right to do what I just did. I kept on walking until it hit me, my buckets are empty. What have I done?

A/N: Hey gems 💎, I hope you're enjoying the story.

It looks like Khadijah is in trouble. Hehe 😁 . Don't forget to vote, comment your thoughts and share. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
I'll try to update this book at least twice a week. Please stay tuned for the next chapter gems!

All the x's, all the o's❤
- Kosy💎