4• ... Now They Know

~Khadijah~

"Okay, I'm sorry for how I reacted, Mama," I said trying to calm myself
"So, we made profit right?" I asked looking at her frowned face.
"Right?" I repeated and Mama started sobbing.
She sobbed loudly. I understood the message she was trying to pass across. I became angry but I tried not to show it and behaved as understanding as I could so she could feel better. I wanted her to tell me exactly what was eating her up.
Why did she do this?

"The day before yesterday..." She began and I listened attentively.

"...I went to Umma godiya's house to talk with her. I was telling her about our current situation and she suggested I sold the land and the farm produce we just harvested so I could buy a bigger land from someone else at a better rate. She promised to introduce the person to me and she said that the man lived in Abuja and he will have to come the next day. I thought it was a good plan so I agreed."

"She called the man whose name was hamza and we spoke through the phone. He agreed to sell our land for five hundred thousand Naira and offer us a much bigger one at the same amount.
Umma godiya called me yesterday and told me that the man couldn't make it here but he had already sold our land and he will use the money to get us another. He promised to call today."

"Today, I decided to visit Umma godiya and spend some time at her house again. I waited patiently for hamza's call but he never called. It turned out he was a fraudster and he ran away with all our money but he already sold the land to someone else. I felt ashamed for what I had done and blamed Umma godiya for everything, " I felt really sad for her, for us.

So we are now victims of fraud?

Mama sobbed loudly and I pattted her back slowly.

"Umma godiya said she never knew who the man really was but it was her son in Abuja that told her about him. Now what do we do Khadijah. What have I done? I'm so happy that I didn't sell our farm produce if not, we won't have anything left. " She said sobbing loudly.

"Mama, Allah will help us. We will solve this problem Insha Allah." I said trying to console her.

When she had finally calmed down, I walked out of her room and back in with her food. I forgot to get a basin of water so she could wash her hands before eating so I ran out and came back with it. She washed her hands and thanked me before I left her room.

I didn't feel like eating anymore after hearing the sad story mama told me which I couldn't believe was our current situation, I prayed silently and laid back-down on my mat to do what I could do best, think.

Now we've lost our land which was all we depended on and we have no money at all. The only thing we have now is food. At least we're sure we'll survive for a certain amount of time but what will happen when it's all gone? How will we survive? Mama has ten other siblings and four step-siblings They all live in big cities and forgot about her. She doesn't even have their phone numbers. They only visit us during the holidays with their children and they would give us some money for sweets before going back to their base. Mama's parents died a long time ago even before I was born so there was no running to them for help. They died in a ghastly motor accident and Mama grew up in her uncle's house with four other siblings while the rest live with other uncles and aunts. Uba has four siblings and eight step-siblings. Five of them live in the village and the rest live in cities outside Kaduna. We could go to them for help! They'll probably rebuke us for selling our father's inherited land to an unknown person.

I let out a sigh.

'We're really in big trouble'. I said then gave out another sigh and adjusted the piece of folded material under my head before I slept off.