lvii: loan

"Emma! There's no hot water!" Blake yells from the bathroom and I immediately curse, forgetting to tell him that he should've waited for a while.

I don't respond to him, instead I make my way to the kitchen and start preparing dinner. He went to take a shower after cooling off from his workout, about the same time I stepped out from there after coming back from office.

It's been more than a week since we moved in, and we're still kind of adjusting around. We've unpacked almost all the boxes except some are still left with Blake's books. But the settling stuff aside, it has been amazing how quickly we've adjusted to each other's presence.

Even when we were living apart, I was mostly at his place or he was at mine, so we were accustomed to it but there's something more about living together. Now every night when I go to sleep, I don't have to worry about how I might not have clothes for office the next morning. In fact, sometimes I wake up to find Blake packing lunch for me after he has ironed my clothes.

He's so fucking... loveable, caring and I don't think even a thousand different words would do justice to describe my love for him.

"I just took such a cold shower." Blake speaks, entering the living room with his hair damp. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"It slipped." I offer, feeling a little guilty when I see how pale he looks from the cold. "In my defence, I offered you to take a shower with me."

He throws me a sideway glance before pulling over a black hoodie over his grey sweatpants. The sight distracts me for a second before he plops down on the couch with his laptop and books.

I pull myself away from the thoughts and continue to prepare dinner. After I'm done with mashed potatoes and have pan fried the chicken, I move to sit on the couch by his side.

"Work?" I ask and he nods, his eyes fixed on the laptop in his lap. "Need help?"

He just shakes his head but momentarily looks up from screen, passing me a small smile. I roll my eyes and pick up my phone from the coffee table before scooting to the other end of the couch and FaceTime my father.

"Happy Birthday, old man!" I smile at the screen as soon as he answers, hearing his laugh.

Blake looks at me wide-eyed from surprise when he notices I'm on a call and makes a panicked face. I ignore him as I focus my attention back on the phone.

"Thanks, sweetheart." Dad beams at me and I hear my mother's voice in the background.

"Is that Emily?" She asks and Dad nods at her. She must've snatched the phone from away from him because next I know, I'm looking at her. "Oh, hi hon!"

"Hey, Mom. You look very beautiful." I point out, noticing her top-notch make-up, perfectly curled hair and she's most probably wearing a dress.

"Thanks, Em. How are you?" She asks and I look behind her, noticing Dad's clothes for the first time.

"Is Dad wearing a leather jacket?" I gape at them.

"Yes!" Mom grins, "Doesn't he look so young?"

"He does look good but aren't you guys too old for this?"

"Please! We're going for a nice night out, much deserved one." Dad speaks from behind her.

"Where are the kids?"

"Upstairs." Mom informs me. "Caiden's baby-sitting."

"Ow, that's a tough choice." I laugh.

"Where's your boyfriend?" Dad asks and I practically feel Blake freezing over.