xxiv: beach house

Nick has officially avoided Blake and me for a week. When Blake and I went out in the living room, I earned suspicious looks from Sam and Olivia, but they didn't say anything. That was until lunch the next day where I had to continuously assure them that nothing happened.

It didn't. Nothing happened. After Blake calmed down, we went outside. Myra came to the room before Nick did, just to make it less obvious that both of them were caught up together. I stuck to my words and pretended like I never saw what I saw, but Blake and Nick did a terrible job at making things less awkward.

At some point of the night, I remember Nick spilt beer on himself due to his nervousness. When everyone left, he went straight to his room and so far, every time we're in the common premises, he avoids me. He's done a pretty great job at it considering that we live in a very small apartment.

Myra and I, on the other hand, handled it pretty well. We even met for lunch this week and never brought up what happened. I think it's Nick who's going to take his time to come around to stop the awkwardness but I hope it's super soon because I leave for Hamptons in an hour. I have to be at my parents' place by then.

Blake didn't come to the office this week, and I haven't seen him since that night but we exchanged a few texts where he asked me if Nick had talked to me. I'm glad that he has been so focused on his best friend that he hasn't had the time to reflect on our stupid argument.

I'm dragging my packed luggage out in the living room when I run into Nick and his eyes widen from surprise. I roll my eyes at him because it's not possible to not run into each other when you live together. He has eaten most of his meals out, and I just wish he would talk to me normally. I don't even want to discuss what happened. It's his life, and he wants to share it with me, he can do so whenever he feels like it.

He tries to step-side and go to his room but my luggage takes up the space so he remains stuck.

"Just give me a second." I mumble as I drag the bag to my side to make way for him.

When he still doesn't move but rather continues to stand in front of me, I look at his face. He seems nervous, like he wants to speak but doesn't know what to say. I understand his plight, I really do which is why I break the conversation.

"Nick, are you okay?"

He nods but then he shakes his head. "I don't know."

"Want to talk?"

He lets out a sigh but then nods. "Are you in a hurry?"

"No, come on, let's sit in the living room."

I'm in a hurry but he doesn't have to know that. My parents can wait for a while, it's not like they're the most punctual ones. Except, Dad. He freaks out about getting everything and everyone together on time. I've never seen my mother more amused at anything other than that.

When I take a seat by his side on the couch, he faces me. "Promise not to judge?"

"Promise." I nod to him with a small smile. "You don't have to talk about it if you aren't ready."

"No, I am. I talked to Leila last night and she knocked some sense into me. I feel terrible for avoiding Blake but I don't know how to approach him, or what he must be thinking about me."

He's staring at the coffee table which makes me reach out to take his hand, causing him to look at me. "He's just worried for you, that's all. He's not thinking anything other than that."

"You talked about me?" He looks surprised. "Wow. I didn't expect him to talk about it at all, but I'm glad he did. What did he say?"

"I think that's a conversation that should be happen between the two of you and not through me but please talk to him whenever you're ready. The guy will worry himself sick." I let out a breath because even the low and sombre tone of his messages make me worry.