ix: the dinner

"You do realise that you're just an intern, right?" I ask Blake as he goes through the second file on my table, looking at one page after another.

He shrugs in return, "I don't mind."

"Yes, but I do. Give it back now." I snatch the file from his hands and he scowls at me.

"Why are you so annoyed? I thought things were good between the boss lady and you." He leans forward, keeping his elbows on the desk and places his hands under his chin as he stares at me.

"First of all, boss lady and my relationship is none of your business. Secondly, I told you that because you wouldn't stop annoying me. Thirdly, I'm not annoyed by her." I breathe out a long sigh and he just keeps looking at me, as if waiting for me to answer his question but I just roll my eyes, ignoring him completely as my eyes skim over the file I just snatched from his hand.

"You're an idiot," He tells me and this time, I scowl at him.

"Just go, shush. Go to that girl you were flirting with, or give people coffee. I need you at least ten feet away from me for now."

He gives me a cheeky grin before pushing away his chair and getting out to actually ask people if they needed coffee. He's bonded with all the associates of HR department, and is now apparently the favourite intern. Cheeky little shit he is.

But what I told him is true, things between Genesis and I are good, like really good. I spent the night at her after dinner with my parents and was surprised when she offered it again yesterday when she was just leaving the office but I had to say no, not because I wanted to, but because I'm trying so hard to not let it become a habit because if she changes her mind next week, it's going to come bite me in the ass.

However, I was annoyed with my parents a little because they still hadn't talked to Odion but that didn't stop me from looking for the best speech therapist for him. My boy deserved the best even though the process would be so painful for him, both emotionally and physically.

"Okay, here's your coffee." Blake puts a cup in front of me before taking back his seat and I give him a look.

"Back so early?"

"Don't have the energy to flirt."

"I didn't know it took energy to string along girls." I scoff, and he smirks at me.

"Speaking of girls." He clicks his tongue before settling his palms underneath his chin. "You remember the dinner, right?"

I try hold back a grunt but fail miserably.

"That means yes." He grins to himself. "I was thinking we could go to a party this weekend."

Wait, hold on. "You want me to go to a college party to fulfil the bet?"

"Yes. Loser owed dinner at winner's favourite place, and parties are very much in that list." He smiles like he's proud of that explanation, causing me to narrow my eyes at him.

"You're such a cliche, aren't you?"

He looks a little offended by my statement but quickly covers up. He leans back in the chair, revolving the pen around his fingers. "Would you rather hang out with a bunch of drunks or spend a dinner talking to me?"

"Now that you put it like that." I smile at him with my classic bitch face.

He grins at me mockingly but doesn't say anything. I receive a text from Genesis and it's a selfie, tempting me to roll my eyes. She does that a lot, sends low-cut cleavage photographs across. I respond with a bunch of emoticons which I normally would never use in any other conversation.