Thomas [10]

A/N: Because of it being icy freezing cold death outside right now on my own runs, this idea came into mind. Enjoy! :D

 Y/N had come to the glade nearly a year ago. Though, she hadn't arrived under normal circumstances.

Nearly a year ago, Y/N had found a small passage from her maze which led her right into the one she currently lived in. On that day she'd crossed between the mazes, she'd met Thomas and Minho. Out of curiosity, she'd gone back with them for the night since it was getting late. When they all returned to the passage the next day, the rock as sealed. It was gone. She had no way back.

The girl had moved on fairly quick. She'd settled in and become a runner, enjoying her time with her running partners. Y/N hadn't said much about her maze or what it had been like. Everyone figured it had been quite similar to theirs. They also understood her not talking about it. After all, she was probably just trying to forget.

Recently though, that passage had opened back up.

Y/N spent days sitting at its entrance all day, calling out the names of her old friends, praying someone would hear her. The last thing Y/N wanted right now was to brashly run back through that passage and once again be trapped on the other side. Right now, she wasn't willing to lose all she'd built here in the glade. Her friends, the progress in the maze, the safety and security were things she couldn't lose. She felt at home here.

After nearly a week, Thomas and Minho knew something had to be done. She couldn't keep sitting there like a dog who's owner was never going to return. So, the boys made a plan. Thomas would go with Y/N back into her maze. Minho would wait at the passage. Should it start to close...well, they weren't sure what they'd do then. Either way, all that mattered is that if Y/N and Thomas did get stuck on the other side, neither one of them would be alone.

Y/N sat silently in the maproom with her head in her hands. She was lost in thought. That was until Thomas sat down beside her and put a hand on her knee, shaking it gently to break her from her thoughts.

"Hey, you okay?" He asked gently.

Y/N took in a deep breath and straightened up a little. "Yeah. Something doesn't feel right, though."

"I know." Thomas agreed. "Minho and I talked...and I'd be willing to go with you. If you want to check it out, that is. We don't have to."

The girls eyes widened. That was the last thing she ever expect to hear. All week, she'd never brought up the possibility of going back because she thought Minho would tell her no. Maybe she was wrong.

"I want to go check in," Y/N rubbed her hands together. To Thomas, that motion seemed like some sort of old instinct brought on when she thought of the maze. "But you know that we might get stuck there, right?"

Thomas pursed his lips and nod. "Yeah, I know. Something that reckless doesn't seem too out of my wheelhouse, though."

"True. Very true." Y/N laughed lightly. Thomas fell into her eyes. There was always hope there. When he couldn't find it in himself, all he had to do was look at her.

Y/N stood and held a hand out to help Thomas up. He was looking a little doe-eyed. "Got any warmer clothes?" She asked. "You'll need them."

"Uhhh," Thomas tilt his head in question. "I'm sure I can find some."

Once they crossed that passage the next morning, Thomas completely understood why he needed the extra clothes. The draft coming from the dark concrete tunnel they walked through stuck right onto his bones and began to gnaw.

Finally exiting the tunnel, Thomas gasped. But, in doing so, his nose seemed to burn and lungs ached. "What the—"

"Mhhhmmm," Y/N acknowledged, seeming unfazed by the freezing cold. "Welcome to my home."