Winston [2]

Winston sat on the cot in the medjack hut. The sun ever so conveniently pierced through small holes in the roof just to burn his eyes. Here, he knew the procedure. It was the same every time he was in. 'Ah, geeze, dude. Again? Here, use this to put pressure on and try to stop the bleeding until we can get ourselves sorted.'

Today, Winston had once again managed to catch himself with a blade. Luckily, it was fairly small, but it still stung and bled a little too much for comfort. He'd gotten his hand this time, which of course, was the one body part he needed to actually do his job.

That pain radiating up his arm dissipated the second he caught eyes with someone speeding into the hut at a dangerous velocity. Their shoulders almost took out a piece of the wall. Someone was obviously in a rush today.

"Hey, I'm sorry!" Y/N apologized heartedly, smiling a little and shrugging her shoulders. "Clint and Jeff are out helping one of the builders. They couldn't move him... It's not good." She winced at the thought which told Winston it was definitely worse than she was making it out to be.

"It's okay," He stifled an awkward laugh and watched curiously as Y/N searched around for some supplies. "I can wait if you need to go help them. I don't mind."

"Ah, nah." Y/N was crouched down digging through a bin when she waved over her shoulder. "More people won't really help that situation."

With time, unfortunately enough time to let Winston's heart start racing with anxiety, Y/N eventually sat across from him. "The usual?" She asked.

Winston sighed and lift his hand, removing the cloth. "Yeah."

Without a second thought, Y/N reached for his hand and examined it carefully. Maybe it was just how he saw things, but Winston really admired how he could feel just how much Y/N genuinely cared simply through her touch. He knew she wasn't just trying to get this over with as fast as possible, she wanted to do it right and make sure the person she was treating was also okay in other ways. For someone who got injured a lot, it was nice. Winston often felt very alone here in the Glade. Sure, he had a lot of good friends. His days were filled with people and their high energy, especially that of Frypan since they often worked alongside one another. But deep down, he felt no one really honestly cared about him beyond the fact that circumstances tied them together here in the Glade. With Y/N? That fear went away. He didn't feel so alone. He didn't feel so much like a nobody.

"This isn't what it looks like, I swear." Winston spat out the words very suddenly and unexpectedly. Y/N sat up and leaned back a little, confused.

"What do you mean?" She laughed lightly.

"That I'm doing this on purpose. Getting hurt so I get to see you." He admit bashfully. Winston, though a little more reserved than many of the boys, was still quite confident in himself. He carried himself with a kind smile, willingness to help anyone, and certainty in himself. To see him so coy surprised Y/N a little.

The girl wrung out a wet cloth. "Where'd you get that idea?"

Winston froze up. He really should have thought a little harder about what he was saying. But for some reason, his mind was spiralling. It seemed whatever came to him mind just fell out of his mouth before he could stop it. "Uh....oh that's not good." He grumbled. "Minho was going around telling everyone...I thought you were in on it..."

"That you were getting injured as often as you do just so you could see me?" She giggled lightheartedly. "I definitely was not in on that. Sounds like something Minho would stir up, though."

Now, after all the trouble he'd had with his mouth having a mind of its own, it didn't want to speak. Of all the times to go quiet, why now?

Y/N scanned Winton's face. She smiled to herself a little. It wasn't hard to tell when Winston had thoughts spiralling in his mind. She found it quite endearing. Based on his job here in the Glade, a person could make a lot of assumptions about someone like Winston. But, Y/N chose to hold back. She had wait for Winston to reveal himself overtime. Eventually, she came to find he was a very genuine person who was of the best company here. He cared so much for everyone and yet hardly anyone ever thanked him.

"If I were in on it, and it was true, I'd tell you that you don't need to be purposefully getting injured just to see me." Y/N kept hold of his hand but seemed to be done working on the wound. "Not saying I like seeing you hurt, but it is nice to spend time with you. I think it'd be even better under different circumstances."

"Hold on, first of all, you like spending time with me?" He asked, dumbfounded, but nevertheless excited. "Second, you're telling me patching up wounds isn't your idea of quality time?" He teased.

"Not saying it isn't quality," Y/N laughed a little. "But I think it'd be good to talk to you when you're not in serious pain."

"I'll be honest, I've totally forgotten about it.

The girl gently let go of his hand and began putting her supplies away. "Tonights bonfire night," She turned to look at him and drum her fingers on her leg. "What do you say to getting back at Minho a little bit?"

"I'm already in." Winston got up off of the cot, legs no longer feeling atrophied with anxiety. "Better get planning. I'll come find you after dinner." He smiled playfully and bound out the door.