Newt [21]

Y/N had always worried about Newt. The past few months, he seemed to be heading down a rough path, but never wanted to talk about it. Yes, things in the Glade were miserable. Everything was unknown and there was no sign of escape, even with Minho running the maze everyday. They were likely trapped here until they died, or worse, but everything seemed to be getting to the blonde haired boy.

It was his job as second in command to seem strong all of the time, but Y/N could see right through him and knew he wasn't alright.

It wasn't until she heard people screaming his name in a dire manner that told her things were worse than they seemed. Just last night, they had been talking at the fire and something seemed off. Now, Y/N was cursing herself for not investigating further.

When Minho lay Newt down on the cot in the medjack hut, Y/N was sure her best friend was already dead. His entire body was bruised and bloody, Minho explaining in a jumbled mess that he'd jumped off the maze wall. Those words broke the girls heart. But, it didn't stop her and Jeff from doing everything they could to keep him alive.

The biggest issue was the shattered bones in his leg. If they were to even heal it properly, there'd be no way he'd walk normally again. While Jeff tended to Newt's leg, Y/N desperately tried to clean the wounds on his body looking for punctures, or worse. She could tell by the hazed look in his eyes that he had some kind of head trauma and was quick to deal with it. Despite the unimaginable pain he must've been in, it was about half an hour before Newt's mumbles and groaning subsided and he was fast asleep.

By then, Y/N and Jeff were exhausted. Alby and Minho had already left the medjack hut, going to make up some false story about Newt's injury to tell the rest of the Gladers. His friends respected his privacy and knew better than to tell them all he'd jumped off the wall.

Even though she was about to pass out, Y/N shooed Jeff off to bed, promising she'd look after Newt for the night. Practically ever since they'd met, Y/N had liked Newt. At first, she thought she truly just enjoyed his presence, and because of that, they became best friends. But, with time, she came to realize she liked him for so much more. The thing was, Newt felt the exact same way, but neither of them knew. Of all the people in the Glade, they very unfortunately both the best at hiding their true emotions.

In time, Y/N found herself fast asleep in the now awfully cold medjack hut. She sat in a chair at Newt's side, her head resting on the bed itself. She held his wrist, carefully paying attention to the pulse within it. There was no doubt his body was fighting to survive, and all she could do was wait. Tears dampened the blanket her face rest on, but she was too burned out to move.

A part of the girl couldn't help but blame herself for this. Maybe if she had told him sooner how she felt, he might not have done this. Maybe if she made him stay and talk for just a few minutes longer last night, he would have changed his mind. Anything. She could have done anything. Another part of her knew there wasn't anything she could have done.

Newt woke to a blinding light burning his eyes and a searing pain in his lower leg. He hardly remembered yesterdays events, but remembered enough to know Minho had gotten him out of the maze. The boy fluttered his eyes to clear the haze in them, looking down to the slight dip in the bed at his side. It was Y/N.

Despite the pain in his mind and body, his heart skipped a beat and all he could think about was her. Had she stayed here all night? Had she been the one to look after him? The fact that he was shirtless and had bandages all across his chest didn't help his self-consciousness. Ever so carefully, he tried to remove his arm from her grasp. But, in her sleep, apparently Y/N was still very alert. Her head shot up like a crack of lightning and locked eyes with him immediately.

"Oh—holy shuck!" She stammered dryly, the pure shock making her topple out of her chair and onto the floor.

Newt wasn't about to let himself laugh as his ribs burned with agony just sitting up, but a small smile crossed his face.

"W-wh—can I get you anything? Are you feeling ok? I—" The girl scrambled back into the chair and began checking over his bandages.

"Y/N." Newt weakly reached his hand up and ran a thumb over her cheek. His heart sank when he saw the tear stains littering her cheeks. "I'm ok."

"You're sure?"

"Actually, there's just one thing." He croaked.

"Yeah, what is it?" She asked.

Newt took a deep breath and clenched his jaw. Since they day he'd met her, he'd wanted to tell her just how much he cared for her. If any time was the right time, it was now. However, his words could mean nothing to her, and that scared him to death. Either way, he told himself he was going to go through with it.

"I need to tell you that I love you more than I thought I did."

Y/N's mind flooded with thoughts, yet at the same time it felt completely empty. Never once had she even considered that Newt may have felt the same way she did. Truthfully, it made her feel worse about everything that had happened.

"You—"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner..." He whispered, voice weakening with each word.

"Me too," Y/N stifled a laugh, wiping away a couple of tears that fell from her eyes.

"Wait, you—?" Newt raised his brows and mouth fell agape.

Y/N nodded and smiled softly, grabbing his hand in both of hers. Newt was about to break down, but for an entirely different reason than he had last night. It was almost a good feeling.

"Hey, Y/N!" Minho barged into the medjack hut, completely unaware of Newt now being awake. "Oh—"

"Newt?" He muttered.

"I'm good," Newt admitted. "Thank you, Minho."

"S'okay," He croaked. "Y/N, go get some food and take a rest. You've been here all night."

With that, Y/N switched places with Minho and Newt was somewhat disappointed. Now, of all times, he didn't want her to leave. But, it might give him some time to think about what he'd like to say to her next. Either way, he'd found out they both had been harbouring the same secret for far too long and was Glade it had finally been brought up.