Newt [10]

The Gladers were no strangers to pranks. Most were harmless and all in good nature, always brining that little bit of energy to the Glade which it seemed so very deprived of. Y/N and Newt were among the most notorious for pulling these playful pranks on one another, and had the longest lasting battle.

Today, Y/N had a plan. A not so great plan, but a plan. For the past while, she'd been paying attention to when Newt would leave for the showers and when he'd return. It was early in the morning, before the sun even rose, and he always made it back before the doors opened. That left her with a twenty minute window.

The girl had stayed up all night just to pull this off. As dawn was finally rolling around, Newt climbed out of his hammock and ambled across the Glade. Waiting a few minutes, Y/N made her departure and began to sprint towards the bathroom. She really hated the rickety, old building. Being the exact same build as the medjack hut, there was only enough room inside for three small showers. But, it did the job.

From outside, Y/N could hear the water flowing and knew it was alright to go inside. As quietly as possible, she forced open the wooden door and made sure it closed silently. The water kept running, and based on his usual routine, it'd still be a few minutes before the blonde came out.

Each and every step was placed down delicately as Y/N made her way through the room. Of course, Newt just had to pick the shower furthest away from the door. She spotted his clothes on one of the makeshift benches and smirked to herself. This was going well so far.

Y/N's heart stopped the moment she put her hands on his clothes to pick them up. The water stopped running and Newt let out a tired sigh. No matter how much she screamed at her muscles to move, they wouldn't, leaving her standing completely still with Newt's clothes in her hands.

In complete oblivion, Newt slid open the curtain and stepped out. Y/N's systems fired up again and her legs rocketed her off of the ground so fast, she collapsed face first into the dusty floor.

She was caught red handed.

As she still scrambled, trying to get up, Newt lifted up the wet mop of hair which shrouded his vision. Immediately, a high-pitched, blood curdling scream left Newt which would have made Y/N laugh if she wasn't trying to run for her life.

"BLOODY HELL!" He cried out reaching straight for the towel which Y/N ever so luckily left on the bench.

"HOLY SHIT!" Y/N screamed back in unison as she bolted for the door.

Y/N didn't even stop to think. She let her adrenaline take over, racing out of the showers and across the Glade back to the hammocks. Surprisingly gracefully, she jumped up and landed in her hammock without even slowing down.

For a while, the rest of the boys mulled around in confusion, obviously awoken from the hollers, but no one seemed to care that much. However, after a few minutes, commotion arose as boys began laughing uncontrollably.

"Good one, shebean!" Minho snickered as he jogged past, patting her head proudly. Y/N was just about the only person who could pull pranks like this on Newt and not get murdered at the same time.

A figure in the distance began to grow larger in Y/N's peripheral, and so she peered over her shoulder to see who it was.

Newt. The second in command was making his way straight for Y/N's hammock at a rapid pace, very obviously enraged. He limped awkwardly, trying to keep the towel wrapped around him from falling. Not often did Newt lose his calm demeanour, but this morning, he was seething.

Quicker than expected, Newt reached Y/N's hammock, his body silhouetted by the rising sun behind him. "Give it back." He demanded harshly.

Y/N looked up with a quick smile to his flustered face. "What? Your pride?"

A few light snickers came from the boys who stood around the pair, causing Newt to stiffen up and bite his lip.

"You know what I mean." He growled.

"Do I?" Y/N quipped and sat up, swinging her legs over the edge of the hammock, accidentally kicking Newt. Two lines of dirt stretched across his shins from the point of impact.

If he wasn't angry before, he was now. The blonde lunged forwards, putting his hands on the girls shoulders. "You're lucky you're not in the slammer yet. If one of the boys pulled this, they would be." He gently released her and straightened back up. "Now give them."

"Alright, alright." She obliged, reaching around behind and grabbing the stack of clothes. Newt took them in his hands, but not before leaning in close and staring at the girl dead in the eyes.

"Watch out, love. From now on, I won't be so bloody nice." He snapped and made a quick departure, heading back to the bathrooms.

Y/N just smiled to herself at his empty threats. Though he tried to seem stern, he really wasn't all that intimidating. Newt just couldn't be that mean. Not to her, at least.