Newt [18]

Newt made it his job to keep an eye on Y/N. This facility they'd just been seemingly welcomed into was suspicious and laden with malice. Apparently, the doctors in the facility had taken notice the boys distinct attention directed towards Y/N because once they got the chance, they distracted him. It all happened so quick, Newt was defenceless. A doctor prepared a large syringe to plunge into Newt's arm, so of course he was going to look. In those few moments, another doctor swept in and dragged a curtain around Y/N's bed.

"What're they doing to her?" Newt asked the doctor, his body tensing and heart pounding against his chest. He didn't like Y/N being out of his sight.

"They just need to run some tests," The doctor explained tiredly.

Newt was given no further information on Y/N. He and the other boys were taken out of the room and tossed into a cafeteria with a bunch of other kids. Just Y/N and Teresa were missing.

It wasn't long until the group saw Y/N and Teresa being led down the hall by some guards. Teresa didn't even look into the cafeteria, but Y/N did, immediately catching Newt's eye though the pane of glass. Her eyes were frantic. She too obviously sensed something was wrong. Thomas tried to burst his way though the doors to get to Teresa, but the guards stopped him. Eventually, all of the boys were sent back to their room, still devoid of the two girls in their company.

It also wasn't long until Thomas was plotting an escape. Scrambling though the air vents certainly wasn't the most comfortable, but it was the easiest way out. Winston and Aris departed to take care of something, whatever it was, while the rest of the group continued their search for Y/N and Teresa.

"Where the bloody hell is she?!" Newt hollered in frustration as Thomas led his friends frantically through the halls of the WICKED facility.

"I don't know, Newt! She's probably with Teresa!" The brunette tried to assure his friend.

The group did indeed find Teresa. But Y/N wasn't there like Thomas had said she'd likely be. Just minutes from escaping, Newt knew he was running out of options and places to look. They hadn't come across Y/N yet, so where was she?

"Thomas!" Newt cried through a panicked voice, making him sound like a lost child. "She's not here!"

"We don't have time!" Thomas yelled. Even though Newt knew Thomas was just as frantic and focused on getting out of this place, it stung to know he wasn't willing to go back for Y/N. It would be a death wish to go and find her at this point, but Y/N meant a lot to Newt. Not only was she pretty much the biggest part of his life at the moment, but he never had the chance to tell her just how much she meant to him. Leaving now with his friends, he knew he might never get the chance.

The entire trip through the scorch, Newt was numb and beyond devastated. He always looked to his side and expected to see Y/N there. Every night, he waited to hear her voice say goodnight like she always had back in the Glade. He wished she was with him to share his inhumanely small rations of food.

Once he and the others finally arrived at the Right Arm, he told himself he had to let go. More than likely, he'd never see her again and it was time to forget. It wasn't worth the agony to sulk around while the fate of the world was in the balance. So, he distracted himself in any way he could. Even if that meant just taking a walk to the bathroom to clear his mind.

This late at night, there was hardly anyone roaming about the camp. The few that still remained awake were now just saying goodnight and heading off to bed. Newt, however, felt more awake than ever. He was restless, heartbroken and above all else, full of regret. Even though he promised himself he'd let go of the thought of Y/N, he just couldn't do it. He'd still left her back at the WICKED compound that day.

As the boy exited the makeshift bathroom, he head over to the water station to wash his hands. Already standing there was a girl bundled up in a jacket in hopes of evading the cold. Newt had never been the greatest at small talk, but he figured he'd give it a chance. When he twisted the valve and water began pouring out, he jolted back a little at the ice cold liquid hitting his hands. "Water's awful cold, isn't it?" He laughed lightly and continued to rise the chalky soap off of his hands.

The girl to his left jumped back away from the water station rather violently, a sharp exhale being forced from her lungs. "Newt?" She asked.

Newt stared at the girl blankly. She knew him? He cursed the darkness, unable to see her face clearly. "Uhmm—"

"Holy shuck!" She screamed, suddenly crashing into him, throwing her arms over his shoulders. "I thought you guys were dead!"

The word shuck told Newt everything he needed to know. Only someone from the Glade would know that word, and only one girl other than Teresa at that. "No, we're quite alive love."

"Here, c'mon!" Y/N grabbed his hand and took off sprinting through the camp until they ended up at the fire which still barely burned. The embers emitted a soft warm glow, just enough for the pair to be able to reexamine one another faces. "Where have you guys been? How'd you get here?"

"I'm so sorry." Newt disregarded Y/N's questions and shivers ran down his spine. "So, so sorry."

"Why?" She stifled a confused laugh.

"We left you," His voice broke. "I left you. Thomas said we didn't have time to find you and I followed him. I shouldn't have ever left without you."

"Forget about it. I'm here now." Y/N ignored the fact that her friends had left without her. "I got out a couple days after you guys anyways."

Newt groaned and shook his head. "But I left you. I can't forgive myself for that."

Y/N pursed her lips and furrowed her brows in sympathy. Seeing Newt in such pain was just about the worst sight a person could see in their entire life, and the fact that he thought the separation was all his fault made it worse. There was no way he could have singlehandedly broke Y/N out of the facility and Y/N knew that. Apparently, Newt didn't, though. He still seemed to blame himself wholeheartedly for abandoning her.

"I wanted to leave everyone and come back to find you. Even if that meant WICKED got me again, it wouldn't matter as long as I got to see you." He whispered, lowering his eyes to the ground. "Because I never got to tell you how much you meant to me."

"Hey, it's ok." Y/N sighed. Times like these, Newt carried a heavy energy around him and it was difficult to not find oneself distracted by it. Sometimes, his mind got the better of his heart and convinced him he was a bad person who did terrible things. He saw leaving Y/N as entirely his fault. When, in reality, it was no ones. Circumstance was to blame.

"I'm never letting you out of my sight again." Newt stifled a laugh. "Ever."

Y/N laughed. "Following me around everywhere will get boring pretty quick, you know?"

"All I've ever shucking wanted was to be with you," Newt muttered, eyes still glued to the ground. It wasn't a few seconds into the pairs shared silence he'd realized what he'd said. His face burned up and heart beat out of control, but it was too late to take back his words now.

"Wait—you?" Y/N stuttered.

Newt raised his head shyly. "Like you. Always have, always will."

Unsure of what to say or do, Newt just hugged the girl. It was something he'd always wanted to do but never had. Back in the Glade, it was too risky. Not just because the other boys would see, but for himself. If he held her in his arms once, it would be torture to not be able feel it again. Now, however, he was free to do so.

"Well then, I'll gladly have you follow me around." The girls breath was warm against Newt's ear, sending a rush of relief through him.

"We've got a lot to tell the others tomorrow." Newt smiled into her hair and tried to imprint every piece of this moment into his memory.

Y/N broke from the hug and smiled mischievously. "Now that's sorted, time to tell me how you guys got here."

They may have been up until dawn exchanging stories, but to Newt, it was completely worth it.