Gally [22]

Gally threw a fellow Glader down into the dirt, just like he always did on bonfire nights. The crowd churning around the fight ring hollered out at his victory like they hadn't seen him do the same thing hundreds of times before.

Fighting in the ring used to be fun for Gally. It was his way of connecting with the other Gladers in a neutral environment when he otherwise struggled to do so during the normal beat of the day to day. But now, it wasn't so fun anymore. No one was really a challenging fight. Not to say he saw himself as better or entirely stronger than everyone else. It's just that he always knew what his opponents were going to do before they did it.

It was beginning to feel like he was more of a piece of entertainment. A circus animal. A show of brute force others only liked to watch. No one actually wanted to be around him, they simply enjoyed watching him pummel others.

Standing there, breathing heavy, feeling lost and out of place, something caught Gally's eye. Across the glade, sneaking her way through the dark, was Y/N.

She always disappeared on nights like this. Went off on her own and melted into a silent place in the Glade. Being the only girl, he couldn't image how hard it would be to be in a place like the Glade. It seemed she felt out of place and alone. Better than anyone else though, Gally knew what that felt like.

Tonight, he decided to break routine. He decided to step out of the ring.

Someone asked him where he was going and what they were supposed to do when he was away.

Gally turned and shrugged. "I don't know, entertain yourselves for once." He muttered, putting a hand on Zart's shoulder. "Zart's in charge. Maybe you can fight him and his shovel."

No one seemed to know how to respond and Gally didn't stick around to wait for them to say anything. He was off to find Y/N.

She wasn't such an easy find. He checked he homestead, the medjack hut, and the maproom. All the quietest, most comfortable places she might have gone to hide away. But she wasn't in any of them.

The only other place he could think of was the builders hut--a small space with one table and a couple rickety old chairs. Really, just a sun shade and a place to draw blueprints and store materials that needed to stay out of the sun and rain.

No one went in there besides Gally. That was a rule no one seemed to tamper with. It was off limits for no reason other than that Gally didn't want anyone bothering him while he worked. And, of course, didn't want anyone touching his stuff.

He snuck up towards the builders hut quietly. He wait outside, just a few metres away from the entrance, trying to peer inside. It was tricky, and he couldn't listen for noise inside because the voices from the bonfire overpowered any small creaks from inside. But he could see a faint light coming from underneath the door and a shadow that moved ever so slightly.

Of course this was where she'd be. It was a rule that no one ever entered this place and so no one would think to look for her here. Undeniably, it was a good hiding place. Well planned, Gally would give her that.

Not sure if he was capable of being quiet enough, Gally pressed his palms to the door and gently shoved. It was so against his nature to act so slowly and cautiously.

Opened just a sliver, Gally could now see Y/N. She was sat at his desk with a book under her arms and a pencil in her hand. Though, that pencil was hardly being held between her loose fingers. He noticed her head was rest down on her arms and she was asleep.

A little less carefully now, Gally stepped inside and slowly closed the door without a creak. Y/N didn't show any signs of being awake.

Standing there, he wondered how often she did this? How long had his work space been her sanctuary and he hadn't had a single clue about it? Should he leave her be and let this secret remain her own? Or, should he reach out? Help?