Newt [33]

So, they had made it out of the maze. Though, they could hardly say that seeing as how there was hardly anyone left. It was hard to now lay in a bed with clean clothes knowing so many friends were lost.

Everyone else, despite the horrors of the past day or two, seemed to be settling in for the night except Y/N. She'd taken the bottom bed of the bunk farthest from the door. As she approached it, she reached into her pocket and then climbed into the corner, drawing her knees to her chest. In front of her eyes in the dim light, she held up crumpled drawings of Alby and Chuck. It was all she had left of them now.

For a while, she just sat there, the world around her muffled as if she were underwater. Nothing else existed but the memories of the faces she held in her hands. They began to shake. She pushed her face into her knees, just hoping it would stop the potential for any tears falling. She knew that wasn't going to work out when she felt someone climb onto the bed beside her, also leaning their back against the wall.

"Didn't know you'd kept those," The boy took in a deep breath. "Mind if I take a look?" He asked.

Y/N didn't move her eyes. She simply tilted her hand, indicating that Newt was free to take the pictures from her. He was silent for a little while.

Slowly, he placed the pictures on the bed between them and then wrapped his arms around his legs. He rest his chin on his knees and tilt his head to look at the girl. "What you doing slunked away in this corner all alone?"

Y/N tried to look toward him but she couldn't. Eyes narrowed as she shrugged half-heartedly. She was hurting so much her own body prevented her from even speaking. Everything was moving so fast and yet at the same time everything was painfully slow. She felt like her cells were being torn apart in some cosmic event.

Newt brushed his fingers against her leg gently. "Hey," He coaxed. "I understand. But we need you staying sharp, alright? You're more important to running this ship than you think."

Y/N finally managed a breath her lungs had been starved of. She watched Newts hand slowly lower and wrap around his legs again. "I don't want to forget or pretend like it didn't happen."

Newt scanned her features. "No one here is pretending it didn't happen, they're just learning to live with it. We have a lot of reasons to be upset, but we have just as many to be thankful." He said. "Would Chuck and Alby want you sulking when the others need you most? Or would they want you to carry on, bust just promise to never forget?"

"They'd want all of us to keep going," Y/N admitted. "But that doesn't stop it from feeling wrong."

"I know." Newt's brows lifted slightly with sympathy. When she didn't respond immediately, he unraveled his arms from around his legs and reached for Y/N.

At first, she didn't respond to his arms around her shoulders as he held her tight. But, after a few moments while her mind processed what was happening, she began to loosen up. Soon enough, she found her own arms making their way around his back. Her face fell into his shoulder and she held him tight.

"Where are we going?" Y/N's voice broke. She felt so small, so alone and helpless. Clearly, this compound wasn't all that there was left of the world. Rat man seemed to think it wasn't worth the mention, and no one seemed to question it because they were tired of moving and bodies were aching.

"I can't say for certain, but somewhere." He mumbled. "Thomas seems to think this place is all a lie, so we can only assume we'll be running up sand dunes soon."

Y/N stifled a small laugh and Newt felt her grip his shoulder a little tighter. "Wherever we do go though, we'll all be together. Got that? Especially Minho, the fool is never gonna let himself get taken from us alive." He added.

The girl never was going to forget her friends. She might never be able to break from the guilt either. But, she knew the importance of staying strong now right alongside her friends. She still had them.