Gally [11.2]

Gally had spent the past few nights in the medjack hut. He was still under the close watch of Clint and Jeff as per Alby's orders and was taking some much needed time to let his body heal. If you asked him, he'd be quite content to stay here every night for the remainder of his life. With four walls around him and a roof over his head, he felt safe. Each night now, he got to hide himself in the corner of a room instead of walking out to meet his nightmare. He'd never slept so heavily.

"Good morning," Y/N's soft, lively voice melted into the room just like it had the past few mornings. The girl lightly tread to the side of Gally's bed and sat down in a chair. "How you feeling?"

Gally rubbed his rough hands over his face and took in as deep of a breath as his aching ribs would allow. "Better."

Y/N smiled and nodded. "Okay, well, I can't stick around like I normally do...Newt has some things he needs help with. But, I'll meet you for dinner?"

"Sure," Gally shrugged with a weak smile, a little upset she wouldn't be spending the day with him like she had the past while.

Y/N got up to leave. "Also, there's something we need to do this evening. I'll fill you in at dinner."

With that and leaving no time for questions, Y/N escaped the medjack hut in a hurry. Gally was at a complete loss for what Y/N could be planning for this evening, but something told him he wasn't going to like it.

The day was a whole lot more boring without Y/N here to pass the time with him. Luckily, he as able to help Clint and Jeff out a little around the hut, but that was the extent of his contributions for the day. If he had been braver, maybe he would have gone out to help with the gardens or check up on his builders. The mere thought of being out alone and wandering the Glade absolutely rattled Gally's bones, tough. He still had plenty more fear and pain buried deep inside than he thought.

Even though Alby had already dealt with the slicers behind his injuries and had threatened to banish them should they ever touch Gally, he was afraid to see them. Just one glance at them or looking them in the eye could send him into a very sudden, painful mental spiral.

Walking over to the kitchen was enough for him to nearly vomit. Any voice he heard from behind or to the side of himself made him whip his head around in paranoia. The feeling of people still being out after him hadn't yet left.

Y/N found him stumbling his way to the kitchens with his head on a pivot. "Gally?" She called out, walking straight toward him.

Luckily, Gally caught her eyes and he seemed to loosen up. His eyes cleared a little and the panicked expression left him. Y/N warily handed him a bowl of food and asked him to follow her to a table to sit down.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

Gally sighed and furrowed his brows a little. "Yeah, just a little tired. Confused. I don't now."

"Worried, maybe?" Y/N suggested. "Gally, it's okay to still be on edge."

The builder was tapping his fingers restlessly on the table as he struggled to take mouthfuls of food. He struggled keeping his consciousness in this reality. "I'm sorry I was drawing you without asking first."

Y/N, not sure where or when the conversation had switched, eyed Gally with confusion. "It's fine. I don't mind."

Gally hardly listened to what she said. His mind wanted to keep rambling. "I was drawing you because I needed to take my mind off of things, all of this shit in the Glade. Drawing you was the one thing that I could do where my mind would finally shut up and let me feel normal." He took in a sharp breath.

Y/N reached across the table and placed her hand right on top of Gally's. His fingers stopped tapping and his eyes stoped flickering around and locked on hers. "It's not something you need to apologize for. There was nothing wrong about what you did. It wasn't malicious or creepy or...whatever." Y/N laughed lightly. "You were just being yourself."

"Thanks." Gally half smiled. "Those slicers thought otherwise."

"Yeah, well, as we've concluded, screw those guys." Y/N grumbled. "And, that leads us to the rest of the evening."

The girl stood up, took Gally's bowl and ran it over to Frypan and then returned. She motioned for him to stand up as well. "C'mon. We've got something to deal with."

"What?" Gally questioned as he followed alongside Y/N.

"You'll know." She said.

Gally did indeed know. They were moving toward the deadheads, following the exact path he used to take into the woods at dusk each night. With each and every step they took, Gally felt his body revolting against him just like it always had. It was telling him to not go any further into the woods because he knew what awaited him there.

Now, he knew he had no real reason to worry. But he still did. Without having even realized, he stopped dead in his tracks. Every single cell in his body was screaming at him to not go any further. He'd been dealing with this torture for so long, it was now instinctual for his body to not go this way. Y/N stopped alongside him.

Gally's mind and body was failing him. He felt his heart began to punch his chest. His legs were shaking, his vision blurring. One sensation though that he wasn't used to was a hand in his own. The boy looked down to find Y/N's hand gripping his tightly, the girl looking up to him with sad, sympathetic eyes. The keeper of the builders was going back to a place he hoped he'd never see again. He was terrified of this small place and he knew it.

"We're going to get through this together, okay?" Y/N gripped his hand even tighter and he nodded in agreement. Y/N then tugged him forward and they both kept moving. "I don't want you to be afraid of this forest forever."

It took a while to get there, but Gally was soon faced with the familiar small clearing in the woods where his body far too often ended up on. Laid around were branches and rocks, all objects which had once been used against him. Gently, he let got of Y/N's hand and began to walk around, scanning over the ruins of this place. There were footprints and dried blood, all evidence of what had happened here. It was all still so vivid in his mind he could hear their voices and the sound of his own body being struck.

A tear escaped from his eye and fell from his cheek before he could catch it. Y/N noticed.

Y/N bit her lip, not knowing if she should say anything. Nevertheless, she did. "Gally, there's no one here. No one is going to hurt you now. They can't."

"I—" His voice broke. "I know." He tried to speak again. No matter how hard he fought to keep himself together, he soon found his knees in the dirt. Gally let his hands fall to the ground as sobs began to rack his body.

"If I wasn't so stupid—" He tried to catch his breath. "If I had just gone that night when you called me, this never would have happened. Any of it."

Y/N could feel her own throat tightening and eyes becoming glassy. She too found herself on the ground with her arms around Gally, her head resting on his back. She could hear his heartbeat racing and his lungs struggling for uneven breaths. It was horrible. For someone such as Gally to be wounded this badly was almost impossible. The world really had stripped him to the bone here.

"It's okay." She tightened her grip around his body. "It's all okay now."

Y/N soon felt Gally's rickety breath and sobs subside. She felt one of his hands lift off of the ground and grab onto her. Then, it was his other hand. Soon enough, he was the one encasing Y/N in his grasp.

Once she knew he'd settled down, Y/N slightly released her grip and placed a small kiss on his forehead. She cupped his face in her hands and leaned back so she could look in his eyes. The storm she'd seen swelling in them earlier had now become the complete opposite. "Still afraid?" She asked.

"No." He leaned into her hand and took in a deep breath.

Y/N smiled hardly enough to be seen before crashing back down into his shoulder. "You're braver than you think."