Newt [9]

Gally's vile concoction of a liquid was never something Y/N could bring herself to drink. She was sure that enough of it could kill a person, and didn't want to take the risk.

But Newt was one of the many that night who decided it was worth a shot. It was hardly an hour into the bonfire and the Gladers were beginning to stumble around, their faces flushed, air full of laughter. The girl sat contently against a log, staring into the warm fire. For such a hellish place, she really did feel at home.

Her silence was broken by the rather over exaggerated teasing of none other than her best friends, Minho, Thomas, Frypan, and Newt. It appeared all three boys had ganged up against Newt and were poking and prodding at him. Y/N smiled and turned back to the fire.

It wasn't long before she felt a body slump down beside her rather unsteadily. The boy landed far closer than he'd hoped, but didn't bother moving.

"Goodevenin', love." A soft voice met her ears that she'd recognize anywhere.

"Newt," She looked up to meet his soft brown eyes flickering from the light of the fire. "Tapped into some of Gally's drink I see?" She giggled lightly.

Newt shrugged his shoulders and sent an awkward, innocent smile, almost trying to act as if he hadn't. "Definitely not."

He knew his defence was weak, and Y/N laughed. "Ahh huh." She teased, rolling her eyes.

Suddenly, Newt was reaching around her with a weak arm, hugging her in close.

Y/N stiffened. She looked over to see her three other friends giggling uncontrollably, nearly collapsing to the ground from laughter. The girl narrowed her gaze on Minho, putting a finger on her throat and sliding it across. 'Your dead.' She mouthed to the runner who simply flashed a devious smile back.

"So, how's the maze been lately, ah?" Newt slurred, trying to keep himself awake as his head nod back and forth.

"The usual." She admitted weakly. "Nothing new."

Newt could sense the dejection in her voice. "I wish you were still in the gardens. Or a medjack—"

Y/N let out a shallow breath. She did occasionally miss working in the gardens or helping heal up the gladers. But nothing compared to the maze. She loved it.

"I miss having you around... Plus, Clint never does as good of a job patching me up as you did." He confessed amidst a hiccup. Y/N giggled.

"C'mon, let's get you to bed." She said, trying to pull Newt up as she stood. The boy weakly obliged, keeping a firm grip around her shoulders.

Y/N lead him across the cool glade towards the homestead, trying to tear away the arm which held her in a death grip.

"Can I trust you to get yourself to bed?" She questioned suspiciously as Newt tried to stumble into the homestead. The second-in-command stood up tall, tilting his head in question.

"I can handle myself, love." He affirmed with a half wink. Y/N raised her hands in defence with a wide smile, stepping away from him. Newt stared at her for a moment before finally leaning away from the doorframe and making his way inside. Y/N knew not to go far.

Surely enough, just a few seconds later, a loud crash came from within the homestead, followed by an angry cry. "BLOODY HELL!"

Y/N smiled to herself and took in a deep breath. She opened the door and slid into the room, finding the blonde sprawled out on the floor just as she had expected.

"You sure you can handle yourself, Newt?" Y/N questioned.

Newt looked up with sad eyes, tears almost brimming in them. "No—" He admitted weakly.

The heart wrenching look on Newt's face made Y/N falter a little. "C'mon," She coaxed, helping him up off of the floor.

It was a perilous journey up the stairs to Newt's room. There may have been a couple of crashes into the wall here and there, but they made it up in one piece. The girl ensured he made it to his bed safely and sat on the edge of it before making her departure.

"Goodnight, Newt." She said kindly, smiling at him one last time.

She stood to leave, but before taking a step forwards, she felt his fingers intertwine with hers. Hesitantly, she looked down to once again be met with his soft, barren brown eyes. So much had happened to him in this godforsaken place, and it was in moments like these that she could see it.

"Please, don't leave."

The words made her heart sink. She knew he always put up this tough exterior that made him look strong, but underneath he was just as vulnerable as everyone else. Y/N obliged, sitting herself back down on the bed, Newt's hand still in hers. Looking to the floor shyly, Newt tucked a strand of the girls hair behind her ear gently. In her state of distraction, he released his grip from her hand and slid it around her waist, pulling her down onto the bed with him.

The room was dead silent. Y/N could feel her heart beating in her chest as Newt pulled her even closer to himself, resting his chin on the top of her head. Her face was pressed into his chest, and she could swear she felt his heart beating equally erratically.

"N-Newt, I should go—" Y/N began, her body stiffening and pressing her hands against Newt's chest, trying to break free.

"You're the only thing in this place that I love." He suddenly blurted, making the girl freeze.

"Newt—" Y/N sounded again, unsure of what else to do.

"I love you, Y/N. So please, just stay." He asked softly, something which not even the girl could refuse. Though, it was painful to know that when he woke, he wouldn't remember what had happened.

It didn't take long for Y/N to drift off to sleep. And before she knew it, she woke to the crumbling sound of the maze doors opening.

"Shuck! I'm late!" She snapped, trying to pry herself from the bed, but something held her down. Someone was holding her down. Then the memories of last night came flooding in, making her fling herself off of the bed.

Newt awoke to a loud thump on the floor. A small, thankful smile broke on his face as he peered over the edge of the bed. "You stayed?" He asked, slight disbelief crossing his face.

She sent back a weak one, looking to his mass of dishevelled hair. "I-I'm sorry, I've gotta go."

Newt frowned a little, making Y/N shy her eyes away as she stood to leave. "Y/N wait."

The girl took in a sharp breath as she stood at the door, not wanting to turn back.

"I meant it." He said. Y/N hoped she wasn't dreaming. "Last night, when I told you that I loved you."

Y/N still remained staring at the door in shock. "I-If you don't—don't feel the same, it's ok... just tell me."

Defeat radiated in Newt's voice. With all of the courage she could muster, she turned her head to look at the boy, still resting in the bed.

"I like you too." She finally forced the words out of her mouth, and the moment she did, something small seemed to ignite in Newt's eyes. A small spark of hope she'd never seen before. His body softened, a smile yet again rising on his face.

"Now, can I trust you to take care yourself while I'm gone?" Y/N laughed slightly, opening the door.

"I think." He joked, throwing himself back down onto the bed. He could take care of himself now, but he wasn't sure how he'd survive having to wait until evening when she'd return from the maze.