Thomas [11]

The box, nearly a week ago, had shown up at an odd time. It never showed up during the day like it was supposed to, but instead, arrived in the middle of the pitch black night.

Even stranger, there was no greenie. This was the first time since the very beginning in the Glade that a boy hadn't been sent up with the normal run on monthly supplies.

Most of the Gladers seemed to brush it off. Thomas, however, didn't believe it. His suspicions were raised. He was on constant high alert.

"Newt, c'mon." He let out a heavy breath as he dropped his spoon into his dinner. "Something doesn't feel right."

"Mate, you get too up in your head. I'm sure it's fine." The blonde brushed off Thomas' hundredth comment of the day about feeling like something wasn't right about the box and the missing greenie. "Maybe the creators didn't have anyone to send up."

Thomas grumbled and got up as well to go turn his dishes into Frypan. It was time to pack it in for the night and as he dragged his feet through the grass, he swore he could hear things out in the deadheads. All of the animals were turned in for the night, everyone was accounted for and unless there was a griever out there, something was going on and he knew it.

Curious, he grabbed a torch from near the hammocks and sprinted off toward the woods. No one called out after him or seemed to notice. He saw that as a success.

It was hard to hear the subtle rustling like he had before with the flame now flickering by his ears. Unfortunately, it was pretty hard to see anything as well. If there were anyone out here, they knew how to hide well.

After some more scouring around, Thomas felt his eyes becoming heavy and thought it was best he head to the hammocks. If nothing else, he could listen while he laid there. At least he'd be getting some kind of rest instead of aimlessly wandering the woods all night.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed staring up at the tree canopy above him, listening carefully. But it eventually paid off. Faint and in the distance, it sounded like someone was making their way through the grass quickly. He knew exactly what it sounded like because he ran through the grass everyday. A hatch to a door opened somewhere to his right and shut. Whoever this was wasn't exactly trying to be quiet tonight.

Then, a clatter. Thomas knew it was inside the medjack hut.

He leapt out of his hammock, scrambling to get himself upright. As he made his way toward the noise, a light flickered on inside. Someone lit some of the candles inside.

Coming closer, all Thomas could hear was someone working inside. Either he was right and there was someone in the Glade from when that box arrived and he was about to catch them or he was going to walk in on someone who'd just pooped their pants and was in search of a clean pair of underwear. It seemed like a 50/50 at this point, especially after Frypan's new, experimental dinner.

Thomas snuck inside carefully. The silhouette of a person moved around quickly. He peered around the corner of one of the rooms in the hut.

What he saw was the last thing he expected. No, it wasn't one of the boys looking for a change of clothes. No, it wasn't a griever or some weird critter. It was a girl. Immediately, he noticed the massive bleeding wound on her arm that she was obviously scrambling to treat.

She caught his eyes in her flurry to find something to clean the wound. Right away, she knew she had nowhere to go. There was only one way out and this boy stood right between her and it. Though, he didn't seem all that threatening. His soft brown eyes were just curious and a little shocked.

He took a step forward and the girl backed up, holding her arm and trying to stop the bleeding. Her eyes narrowed on him. If she had to get out of here by force, she could and would.