Chapter Twenty-Three

Rome

A.D. 67

But earlier that summer, Nero returned to Rome from his Olympic games. He prepares now to pass sentences on both apostles of Jesus that are here in the prison—Peter and Paul—to be executed for being Christians, a group he dislikes. Many have died now, and now it's their turn.

For being a Roman citizen, Paul would be beheaded.

Not being a Roman citizen, Peter would be crucified.

+

According to tradition, the apostle Paul, finally sentenced to be beheaded, is martyred by the Ostian road. His words amaze the Roman soldiers taking him to the place of execution. Only a few would be present at his execution, since the enemies of the cross (of Jesus of Nazareth) feared something could happen that many more would convert to the new faith.

Paul travels along with Luke. This will be their last walk together. Now death will part them. But Paul encourages him to go on in the faith, even to death.

And Luke will. According to another tradition, Luke would also be martyred by means of hanging upon an olive tree in Greece.

When he arrives at the death spot, Paul looks up at the blue sky. It is a beautiful blue day. Now he kneels as the executioner takes his sword and raises it high, then drops it down and puts to death the faithful Paul.

Paul has been martyred by the hands of Rome.

Later, Peter is informed that he would be whipped, and then crucified on a cross. It's just what Jesus said. He would be crucified.

As the bleeding apostle is taken outside of Rome and led past the Tiber River and to the Janiculum hill, where tradition marks the place of his death, Peter holds on to his cross, and tightly. He's going to go through this. He's going to! This is for Jesus! This is fidelity!

When they get to the hill, Peter turns to the Roman soldiers, soon to nail him to the cross, and asks them to let him be crucified with his head facing down. He explains that he isn't worthy to die exactly as Jesus has died.

The soldiers grant his wish.

They extend Peter's arms—oh, it's happening—and hammer nails through his hands, and probably the feet too, if not tied already. Then the cross was raised up, facing backwards.

Peter has the backward view of Rome, if indeed he is facing Rome from his cross. Since he is crucified upside down, he does not (and could not) have a seat on his cross.

Paul and Peter have died, but not their faith... or their letters. Thirteen or fourteen letters survive of Paul; only two of Peter.

+

The Christians, heavily persecuted by Rome and its mad emperor, hide under the catacombs (man-made caves) underground. They are outside the city walls, but underground, still.

Here the Christians bury their dead. Indeed, perhaps the murdered bodies of apostles Paul and Peter are buried here. Here also services could be held. They sing hymns regarding Jesus and salvation.

Here is a part of one that has survived concerning Jesus, "who, being in the form of Theos, did not consider equality with Theos something to be grasped. But he emptied himself, taking upon himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. And being found in the form of a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross. Therefore Theos highly exalted him and gave him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of Theos the Father."

This hymn (whose tune, unfortunately, has not survived) was recorded by the late apostle Paul in his epistle, or letter, to the Philippians during his first imprisonment in Rome. He had so much joy. Joy was everywhere in this epistle.

Despite many Christians being made martyrs for Jesus now in these troublesome times, these faithful few still rejoice in their sufferings. They call to mind the seemingly unending torture of the faithful Job, and they remind each other that Jesus has suffered more (he was mocked, spat upon, whipped, crucified) than they ever can. They can handle this persecution!