Chapter Twelve

Masada, nearby the Dead Sea

A.D. 66

Oh, Masada. The name is what it means, a strong foundation.

Masada is a natural fortress (a boat-shaped rock, some 1,900 feet long and 650 feet wide) south of what was Herod the Great's kingdom, which he had captured, fixed up, and fortified. It contains a storehouse complex (there are 29 rooms), some barracks, an armory, at least a palace, and a couple of wells. These wells get refilled over and over by the rainwater when it does in this desert. There are also Roman-style bathhouses here, with really nice walls.

Masada is at best located in between En Gedi and what used to be Sodom. The Torah records how fire and brimstone from Yahweh destroyed this city of vice and homosexuality. The Torah also condemns same-gender sex as a sin worthy of death.[27]

And here at Masada, Herod the Great had built the fortress as a refuge just in case of a revolt. In fact, it was the first site he fortified. Apart from a defensive, Masada was also his winter haven. Gates are there because it also has to be good enough to put up a siege if it happens. And if so, those inside the castle would be well-provided with water. The water system here was so carefully planned that it is believed that the runoff collected from the rain from one day alone could sustain over a thousand people for a few years.

By the way, Masada is west of what would be known as the Dead Sea. The sight is elegant.

There are also two palaces here. The tall one is on the northern edge with rooms, a hall, and a terrace. From the terrace, one can see from an impressive height the desert valley and the Dead Sea. This palace was built by Herod the Great.

The western palace has several rooms that surround a court, which contains a water cistern, of course, filled with rainwater, that is, when it happens to rain.

+

When Judea got annexed by the Roman Empire as a Roman province, a garrison was built by the Romans here, at Masada.

So here now are some Romans, so far quite unaware of the chaos in Jerusalem, which is around 20 miles or so away. Their day is quite regular. Here is a stepping pool, where they can refresh briefly. But swimmers are not left out of the fun. They have a swimming pool inside the fortress as well.

The guards keep watch on the towers. Round tower. Tanner's tower. Storage tower. And now they spot from their defense some Jews coming. No, not some Jews. There are plenty of them. And they seem to be following a leader.

That someone is a certain Menahem, known as a son of Judas the Galilean, who started the Zealot group years ago. He is following in the footsteps of the man who tried to overthrow the Romans and never did. Menahem may be Judas' grandson.

Here now, these Jews act quietly in order to achieve their goal. They slip in somehow and cause an ungodly massacre. These Jews are members of the Sicarii, and they have weapons hidden in their clothing. They somehow succeed in taking over the fortress, killing all the Romans.

With the killing done, they set others within their party to take charge of the fortress. Now the rebellion is real with this murder of Romans at Masada.

Menahem breaks open Herod's armory and provides weapons for his people and other members of the Sicarii. Now he is planning a trip to Jerusalem, intending to take over and put to death the Romans there... as well as the traitors to Israel, of course.

Of course, those that remain here take charge and make changes. They purify the stepping pool and make it a Mikveh, a public ritual immersion bath, which they (and all Jews) believe achieve ritual purity. They take charge of the palaces and fix them to their liking. They also build dwellings for them to stay here.

What is happening in Jerusalem, in the meantime?

[27] Leviticus 18:22 (listed as an act just as immoral as having sex with parent, sister, aunt, or wedding two sisters at once) and 20:13 (listed as a crime among others in the chapter). Leviticus 18:24-30 and 20:22-26 offer explanations from God.