Chapter Eleven

Area around and in Jerusalem

A.D. 66

Finally, King Agrippa II arrives around eight miles near Jerusalem. And all the high priests, Sanhedrin, and powerful men in Jerusalem, have come on the long trip to greet him.

Now Agrippa, great "King of the Jews", comes with some servants, of course. Neapolitan walks among them, notably. The tribune can't hide.

The respects paid to Agrippa, they speak freely about Florus—who is still at Caesarea—and his cruel acts. Neopolitanus, listening on, can see how what they say is starting to agree with the second letter sent to Cestius Gallus.

Agrippa is not happy hearing the account they gave. Sure, what Florus had done (according to the Jews) was terrible, but the Jews should not think too highly of themselves, and that war is not the solution. The leaders understand that Agrippa actually is speaking for their own good, and they are in agreement.

Not so with the main people, the ones really suffering.

They follow along and also greet Agrippa and Neopolitanus, asking them how their trip was. Then some women who were made widows by Florus come running to the King, and crying too. They lament a lot of things. Their husbands were slain, some crucified. At least one of them says her spouse was a Roman citizen, thus it is illegal under Roman rule—ah, now they care about Roman rule when it benefits them—to suffer the flagellum, much less the cross.

These very sorrows are followed by another, then another, until all the men publicly plot vengeance on Florus. They also ask Agrippa to help. They also call Cestius Gallus' representative to see for himself what was happening in Jerusalem.

+

Jerusalem, oh how ruined it appears... not.

So far all the ruin Agrippa and Neopolitanus can see is the Upper Market Place. But then the Jewish people lead them into houses that have been invaded and conquered. Here some people, minding their own business, were attacked and struck down. Some were dragged out and taken to Florus, who had them whipped and crucified.

This can be confirmed by looking out the hills around Jerusalem, including one inside the city, "Skull Hill". There are plenty of crosses there, empty. But the evidence is clear from the blood that can be faintly seen from the sides of the crossbeams and stakes (especially above the seat, implying an intense whipping), and also the nail-holes on the wood. Not much to say about this, other than that there were plenty of crucifixions. Clearly, Florus was being ruthless.

The people now try to talk Neopolitanus into going through all Jerusalem with a servant to observe what occurred and ask the people what they did about Florus. Agrippa insists it would be good if he went.

So Neopolitanus goes around, asking them about what is happening. When he has enough evidence that they have a good temper, he goes to the Temple, and at the Court of the Gentiles calls together a multitude, and he commends them because they were quite faithful to Roman rule all this time. "But please keep the peace," he pleads with them.

Then he performs as far in the Temple worship and service as he, a Gentile, is allowed to do. Content with what he has seen, he finds Agrippa II, who just met with his sister. He thanks Agrippa for the help, pays respect to the royal woman near him, and gives them his goodbyes.

Now he heads out of Jerusalem, intending to return to Cestius Gallus and give his report. This, of course, means another two weeks' trip, but what? His mission is done.

+

Meanwhile, the people speak to Agrippa and the high priests, wanting to send men to see the emperor Nero and tell him what's up with Florus. They won't be quiet so as to appear they want a war against Rome.