Chapter Thirty-Five

Caesarea

A.D. 69

Vespasian is back in Caesarea. He then receives news from Rome. He and his soldiers get the news. "Vitellius is emperor," is the report.

But when he learns of how Vitellius got the throne, Vespasian gets mad. "He seized upon the government as if it was absolutely destitute of a leader?"

As for his commanders and soldiers, they are truly upset. "In Rome, there are soldiers living delicately. When they have not attempted so much as to hear the fame of war, they appoint whom they please for our emperor. While you,"—referring to Vespasian—"have gone through so much; you are more worthy to rule than anyone whom they have set up."

The plot is going around. "If we determine the potential of governing from the skill of a person in years, we want Vespasian. Or if from the strength of a young man, we want Titus."

So the soldiers at Caesarea gather together and hold Vespasian as the new emperor. They entreat him, "Save the government, currently in danger."

This, somehow, is a shock for Vespasian. He anticipated an easy life, not a troublesome one as the emperor of the whole Roman Empire. "I do not intend to assert myself as emperor," he tells them.

They aren't so convinced. "Your actions prove you deserve it, nonetheless."

But they get weary of Vespasian resisting. The soldiers come around him, drawing their swords. They give him the threat they would drive these weapons through him unless "you would now live according to your dignity."

Vespasian finally cedes.

He yields to their plea to salute him the emperor.

+

Vespasian probably did not expect the expectations in favor of him to go up this fast. But soon, when he asked for it in Egypt, Egypt gave their support for him. The legions there gladly responded to the call.

Then the governor of Syria, Mucianus, gave his support.

It comes to the point that the Empire at the east gives their support for Vespasian. Then he thinks that if it were not for Divine Providence, he wouldn't be announced emperor at all.

Then he thinks about Joseph bar Matthias.

He had foretold that Vespasian (and Titus) would become an emperor of Rome. Vespasian is aghast that such a person is still in bonds. So Vespasian calls in Mucianus, his son Titus, and his other officers and friends. After telling them all about Joseph, he finally says, "It is a disgrace for one who foretold my elevation to power and was a minister of God's voice to be still a captive!"

So he summons Joseph. Joseph tunes up. And Vespasian decrees that Joseph be released.

Then Titus makes a suggestion. "O father, can it be that his iron chain be not loosed, but cut to pieces. That is the usual method for those bound without a cause."

Vespasian agrees. A soldier comes with a big iron hammer and breaks the chain into several pieces.

Then Joseph gets this testimony of his integrity as a reward. He is regarded as a prophet of Alaha.

And in time, Joseph would be given a Roman name, adapted into the Titus Flavius family.

His brand-new name: Titus Flavius Josephus.

But now, Vespasian goes to Antioch. Then he sends Micianus to Italy, committing to him a Roman army, that he may do the fighting while Vespasian handles things here. Micianus decides he would go on foot, because winter is clinching in, and he fears to sail in winter.