Chapter Thirty-One

Rome

A.D. 68-69

Galba is dictating the execution of a senator without even the semblance of a trial. Considering that it is unlawful to crucify Roman citizens, the senator is sent to be decapitated. This is a common sight for Galba.

People, unsatisfied with this emperor, deem that Nero might have been a better emperor and that he should not have perished. Now some pretend to be Nero! These Nero imposters are evidence that Nero is regaining popularity, even as he is dead and buried.

This Pseudo-Nero, who understands literal slavery, is from Achaea of the Greeks. Just where Titus and Agrippa are passing through! This unnamed person crowds about him a group of people who believe this is really Nero. He sets out to sea.

But there is some storm, and they are driven to the island of Kythnos. Then he gets into piracy in Cythnus, which has been long known as a familiar base for pirates.

Now Galba is informed as to this false Nero. He hears that this faker petitions for Roman soldiers to join him. Galba has to stamp out "Nero" at once! He assigns a certain Lucius Nonius Calpurnius Asprenas. This captain has the task of killing this imposter.

Asprenas comes and directes his soldiers to assault the ship where the imposter and some of his patrons are at. When they are done, the imposter is killed, and his head sent on a tour of Asia Minor, and then to Rome.

When Asprenas returns to Rome, he finds Galba with his slaves and ex-slaves appearing before him. He has them bid them farewell this evening. One by one. Really, Galba does this custom every evening and morning, when they must greet him. This is an old and forgotten practice, but he doesn't care. He also groaned loudly when he saw his dinner was extraordinarily luxurious. But he is still a big eater. He will take in food even before sunlight.

Galba also is pleased with this flute player named Canus.

The blue-eyed emperor with a bent nose, however, has pains in him. He could not wear shoes because of how distorted his feet were by gout. Same thing with his hands. He can't even unfurl a scroll, much less hold one. He has a bandage on his right hip because of how it is.

This stern man is going to meet his end soon.

+

It is January 1. The Fourth and Twenty-Second legions of Upper Germany could not swear allegiance to Galba. They break down the statues of him and demand a new emperor.

January 2. Now the soldiers of Lower Germany join in opposing Galba. They even proclaim the governor of their province as emperor: Aulus Vitellius.

When news of this treason gets to Galba, he tries to preserve his authority. So he looks to find someone to adopt, so as to take his place as emperor. He examines Otho. His former wife was Poppaea Sabina, whom he was forced to divorce by orders of Nero so he could marry her. Otho had been made governor of Lusitania (in Spain).

But Otho would never forgive Nero for stealing his wife. He associates with Galba, and he hopes Galba would choose him.

But Galba passes him by and rather chooses Lucius Calpurnius Piso Licinianus.

Otho feels betrayed. He conspires with part of the Praetorian Guards to kill Galba and proclaim him emperor.

He has a good side. They also resent Galba.

January 15. Galba is now dressed in linen support. He says this is for defense. He must be aware of the plots against his life. Then a soldier comes and claims to have taken Otho's life.

"On what authority?" demands Galba.

Others lead him to the Forum, where Otho's body supposedly lies.

But Galba has fallen for the trap. He is killed nearby a lake as he tries to get away. One of his friends runs off, calling out, "Otho does not order me killed!"

But he is ignored. He is run through by a spear. His head gets also set on exhibit with Galba's.

That very day, Otho is declared the ruler.

Rome has a new emperor!