Chapter Two

Galilee/Judea

A.D. 28-30

Those following Jesus (his people call him Jeshua) of Nazareth[1] are a lot. Indeed, Jesus may well be considered a celebrity.

The former carpenter is going around Galilee, calling people to repentance because the "kingdom of Alaha" is coming, and has come. This gets people's attention.

Just what does Jesus mean by that the kingdom of Alaha is coming, and has already? Those who oppose Roman rule believe the kingdom of God to be when the Romans cease to rule Palestine and when Israel is once more an independent nation. The Zealots have as its slogan "no king but Alaha". But is that what Jesus meant by "kingdom of Alaha"?

No, he says that the kingdom means the rule of God in people's lives, when people recognize that God is the supreme Ruler of their lives and world.

It doesn't look much like a kingdom at all. It is partly in motion here on earth, but Jesus says it will come to earth "with power". It will reign forever.

Jesus has plenty of followers, but he knows that people may be deceitful. He appointed twelve companions to be with him and to observe all he does. These twelve would represent his twelve tribes of Israel.

They would be known as apostles in the time to come.

At least four of them are fishers: Peter (or Cephas), Andrew, James (or Jacob), and John (or Jochanan).

One of them is a tax collector for the Romans and thus hated by the people and Pharisees: Levi Matthew.

One of them is a Zealot, who opposed Roman rule, and probably joined because he hoped Jesus would deliver Israel: Simon (or Simeon).

The others are: Philip, Nathanael of Cana Judas (or Judah) Iscariot, Thaddaeus (also known as Judah), Thomas, and another James.

-

Jesus' ministry would last a little over three years. He asked John the Baptist to baptize him. When John did, and Jesus rose from the water, the skies seemed to rip apart. John testified that he saw a dove land down on Jesus. This is a sign from God that Jesus of Nazareth is the long-promised Messiah.

Jesus went to the desert for forty days, and he returned firm. It looked like he was fighting the devil himself in that wilderness. And he was, and is.

Jesus then went to call followers. At Cana, he went to a wedding. His mother Mary (or Miriam) was there, helping along. She asked Jesus to do something for the seven-day feast since the wine just ran out. Jesus responded by saying, "My hour has not yet come."

Yet he complied. He had the attendees of the wedding fill up six large water jars with water. Then he had them take it to the master of ceremonies. But the water given to the master has become fresh wine, and he drank this. Thus Jesus saved shame from those in charge of the wedding, and he revealed his glory as someone special. These disciples he had then—Peter, Andrew, John, Philip, and Nathanael—put their faith in him.

After a brief trip to Capernaum by the Sea of Galilee, Jesus and his friends hurried to Jerusalem for the Passover Feast of Alaha.

-

Jerusalem's third wall would not be built for another two decades or so, but the city looks large enough. There Jesus shows up at the Temple courts. The Temple Mount is huge. One climbs up to the Court of the Gentiles by the stairs that go to the higher ground. Then comes the court for all Israelites, then the court of the Israelite men. Finally would be the court of the priests.