Chapter Three

Area of Judea and Perea

A.D. 30-31

The Messiah was just let inside a synagogue to preach there. So he preaches with the authority he clearly has.

Now a lawyer stands up and says to the Teacher, obviously trying to test him, "Rabbi, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus turns to the scribe. "What is written in the Torah? How do you read?"

The man responds, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' "

Jesus agrees. "You have answered correctly. Do this, and you will live."

This lawyer would not end the dispute. He adds another question, "And who is my neighbor?"

Now Jesus tells this man a story: a man going the road from Jerusalem to Jericho got robbed and wounded on the way. They took his clothing and money, and ran off. The robbed man was left to die, yet a priest was passing by. The priest ignored the man. A Levite also happened to pass by, and he too passed by.

Then comes the difference. A passing Samaritan—not a Jew—helped the man and bound his wounds up, and took the man to an inn, and promised the innkeeper he would pay the expenses for this mistreated man.

And now Jesus asks the lawyer, "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?"

The lawyer could not dare say the Samaritan, since Jews hate these half-Jewish half-pagan people. He just responds, "The one who showed mercy on him."

And Jesus concludes the discourse, "Go and do likewise."

~

Jesus and his disciples just arrived at Bethany, which isn't that far from Jerusalem, where Jesus was a month ago. In like two months it would be the Festival of Lights, celebrating the Temple being purified over a century ago by the Maccabee brothers[1]. They were warriors and were viewed even in Jesus' day as some sort of Messiahs. People expected the Messiah to be a warrior.

But Jesus has another mission.

Mary and Martha receive Jesus into their house. They are friends with the famous Carpenter of Nazareth. Martha wants to do the best for Jesus and his guests. But Mary wants to hear the words of life coming from the lips of the Son of Alaha.

Martha barely has help since her sister is listening at Jesus' feet, so Martha comes over from the kitchen and in a misfit says to Jesus, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Then tell her to help me."

"Martha, Martha," says Jesus. "You are anxious and troubled over many things. But one thing is needed. And Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken from her."

Jesus is taking his time to answer Mary's questions regarding Alaha and this kingdom of heaven. And Mary would treasure his words for as long as she lives. Jesus knows this, so he is speaking with Mary with the time he has—less than a year.

~

Now Jesus has come to Jerusalem, walking at Solomon's Porch at the eastern side of Herod's Temple. What a winter day, at this Festival of Lights.

And all of a sudden Jesus is surrounded by Jews, mainly religious leaders. They had enough of Jesus avoiding the question of whether he's the Messiah. In fact, because it gives the wrong impression, Jesus does not often refer to this word as to himself.