Chapter Seventeen

Jerusalem

A.D. 66-67

It just turns out that the rebels against Rome—and Alaha—only got to chase the retreating Romans as far as Antipatris, a city about 41 or 42 miles away. So then the rebel Jews spoiled the dead bodies of the Roman soldiers which were on the way from Jerusalem to Antipatris. They returned to the city of Jerusalem, running and singing their praises to Alaha for their supposed victory.

On the way, they took charge of some friends of the Romans they just found, and they tried to sway them on their side, against Rome. Some they did by means of violence. Some of them were convinced to join.

So they now go on their way to their beloved Jerusalem, and so sure the Romans will let them alone.

Cestius, on his part, and his surviving men get some of his friends and ask them if they would kindly go and tell Nero what great distress they are in. When they say Yes, Cestius adds that this war and revolution all started because of Florus, and that they should tell Nero this also. He's clearly pinning the blame (correctly) on Florus.

So off they go.

In the meantime, when the people of Damascus miles away hear of the defeat of the Romans, they are enraged. Fearful because they have a Jewish population, they didn't treat the Jews all kindly. In fact, in one hour the necks of about ten thousand (defenseless) Jews are slit.

+

The Jews at Jerusalem gather at the Temple courts, to appoint generals for the Jewish-Roman war. They know the Romans will return, but they'll prepare.

One of the first times planned out was to make their own coins. They had to use Roman coins before; now they will have their own coinage.

Now for the generals appointed: the ones in charge of Jerusalem are a certain Joseph ben Gorion and Ananus ben Ananus—the very one who was high priest a few years ago and who ordered the death of "James the Just" and was thus disposed of by Agrippa II. And he is here now, back in power. He's also the military enemy of Agrippa II, the still-loyal-to-Rome king.

Southern Judea would be under control of a certain Joshua ben Sapphas and Eleazar ben Ananias, who was central to the rebellion earlier.

Eastern Judea, on the other hand, is under the rulership of Joseph bar Simon; Northwest Judea by John the Essene; Northeast Judea by John bar Ananias.

Galilee and Far-North Judea are placed under the control of Joseph bar Matthias, the one who was a Pharisee a few years and tried earlier to turn public opinion against the revolution. Now he finds himself in it!

And Masada is still under the control of the Sicarii.

+

Not wasting any time at all, John the Essene and some of his people go ahead to invade a city about Idumaea. It results in many deaths, including that of John himself. One of his friends, Niger, would continue at January, about the 10th month in the Jewish calendar, two months or so before the Passover Festival.

In the meantime, Ananus ben Ananus the ex-high priest and his friends help in rebuilding the north wall, which they will eventually complete. They would make their weapons. They would start training their young men.

But Jerusalem—free from Roman rule, at least for now—is in for a tough spot. People are getting greedy in Jerusalem. And it'll go on until Jerusalem gets sieged again.