Chapter Nineteen

Greece

A.D. 66-67

But this winter, while touring in Greece, trying to get to Athens in time for the Greek Olympics, Nero just receives word that the Judeans have revolted. Cestius Gallus has proven himself a true failure to crush the rebellion.

Indeed, Gallus would later die of shame late that spring.[35] The shock must have been too much! And he would later be replaced by Licinius Mucianus as governor of Syria.

But now, Nero shows horror at the news. What if others, encouraged by the Jews' success, revolt also from Rome? An example must be made of them! He wants to see who would be in charge of the Roman forces to put the fear of Rome into the Jews. And of course, Florus is to be replaced as "Prosecutor".

And he will be replaced by Marcus Antonius Julianus, whom many believe to be related to another Prosecutor of Judea, Felix.

The emperor finds a man of experience—Titus Flavius Vespasian. This man was born at mid-fall at Falacrina, south of Rome. He is currently 54 years old. He has a son: Titus, who is also an experienced soldier. Vespasian is a man of experience because of his success at an invasion of Britannia years ago. Surely this is the man for the job.

And besides, Vespasian is one of those in his touring group! How convenient!

So Vespasian is to be sent to crush the rebellion. And the 54-year-old commander sends his son Titus, 27 years of age, who is also a man of war, to Alexandria, Egypt. They would get their Roman armies and meet at a certain place.

So it is agreed. Vespasian will take control of the Fifth and Tenth Legions that are in Syria while Titus, his son, will take control of the Fifteen Legion in Egypt.

But now Nero has to hurry to his Olympic games! Even when he plays in a pathetic way, he will still win because the judges fear picking another winner.[36] When he sings in a terrible voice—as inserted—, he will still win.

But now, Joseph bar Matthias starts his governorship of Galilee.

[35] Taticus (Histories 5.10) mentions this detail.

[36] It will be such an awful time at the Olympics that after the death of Nero, the judges will repay the bribes and declare the "Neronian Olympiad" null and void. And his name will be removed from the list of winners because he was cheating.