Chapter One

Jerusalem

A.D. 27-29

Favored over all cities. This is Jerusalem, capital of the Jewish people. Now the Jews' land of Palestine is under control of the Roman Empire, and the Jews loathe the Roman rule, and the leaders of the Jewish people and religion long for control over the people.

Pompey, the late Roman general, had taken the city of Jerusalem a little around a century ago. Now all of the Levant, of the people of Israel, has to be ruled by the Roman Empire.

They had a King appointed by the Roman Senate at Rome—Herod the Great. He had an insane amount of building projects here in Jerusalem. He fixed up the Temple already there. He also built a stadium in the Greek style. Greek athletes would exercise here, but the Jews hate that their performance has a close link with Greek religion, and that they competed naked.

Herod was a hated king, and the Jews celebrated when he died. His son Archelaus was declared ruler of the people. Finally, he was deposed by the Romans after around eight years, and now Judea is under the rule of governors. Judea is now a Roman province.

There are shops and stalls, especially around the Upper Market Place nearby Herod's Palace. Here sandals, clothing, meat, fruits, silk, linen, vegetables, and perfume are sold. There are restaurants and wine shops here also. Jerusalem can be practically called a typical city of the Roman Empire.

There are a few religious groups in existence in Jerusalem, and they believe different things. They have the same Holy Scriptures, as given by Elohim (the Hebrew word for God), if indeed they are speaking Hebrew. Hebrew is the language used for the reading of the Sacred Texts in the synagogue, which are meeting places for the faithful to meet for the Holy Shabbat, the day of the Lord. This Shabbat is on the seventh day of the week, for the people to rest and make it a day with God.

Now in these synagogues, the Jews read from the Scriptures and pray. But most Jews speak Aramaic, an ancient version of Syrian and Hebrew. So someone has to translate verse-per-verse the Hebrew text. Sometimes there would be a sermon. Barely any Jews know Greek. It is too hard for them.

A synagogue can also serve as a local school for children to learn about God. Only boys could go to school, and they start at age six.

But in Jerusalem—which means "the habitation of peace"—are not just synagogues, but also the glorious Temple of Elohim, or in Aramaic, Alaha.

-

The Second Temple was originally rebuilt by Zerubbabel and his people four hundred years or so ago. The first one was built by Solomon in honor of Elohim, and that was three centuries before its destruction by King Nebuchadnezzar II.

No one should wonder why Elohim would let some pagan king of Babylon destroy his Temple and burn down Jerusalem too. The prophet Moses predicted that this would happen if the people are unfaithful to Elohim by defying the covenant they made with him and by worshiping false gods. Elohim has made it quite clear that only he is God. It is part of the Decalogue, or ten commandments. The Jews are to keep the Decalogue. The Law of Moses expands on these ten laws concerning love to Elohim and to fellow man. Elohim is about love.

Yet the Israelites were unfaithful and idolaters when they were brought into the good land of promise. Elohim was patient, hoping they would change their ways and return to him. He sent prophets to reprove them of their offenses to him. But the people were stubborn, wanting their own way. Of all the kings in the two kingdoms they had, only a handful were good kings, who revered Elohim. Among them was David, known as a man after Elohim's own heart.