Chapter Eighteen

Rome

A.D. 66-67

Meanwhile, in Rome, metropolis of the whole Roman Empire, the foolish emperor of the entire empire has gone mad. For some crazy reason, Nero has—either last year or this year—taken some other "wife". Strangely, this so-called woman is actually a male named Sporus.

That's right: the emperor of Rome is a homosexual.[34]

Nero even castrated the man and even made the inhumane wedding as natural-seeming as possible. Nero's "wife" even had to dress like a woman. Titles are to be applied such as "Empress" or "Mistress" or "Lady" even though Sporus is actually a male.

Strange enough, Sporus is playing the role of the bride, while Nero had earlier played the role of the bride with another homosexual—Pythagoras. Nero has been deprived of his humanity, clearly.

But Nero now is preparing to leave Rome. Why? He is intending to go to Greece for the Olympics there. There are chariot-racing contents, and he wants to win them all. So he bribed the organizers to make the Olympics be done his way—that he wins everything.

Because of how good he is with the lyre—of course, later people would suspect he was playing the lyre during Rome's burning—and singing (well, probably not so), artistic activities are added to the games.

We'll see how it goes.

[34] While homosexuality was actually legal in the Greek and Roman Empires, it was a shame to play the "wife" in this sort of relationship.