Chapter Fourteen

Rome

A.D. 66

The faith is a stumbling block to Jews and Gentiles.

This, of course, is a reference to the Jesus faith. Jews could not believe their Messiah could die during his ministry. To them, Jesus is a failed Messiah. Gentiles think it's ridiculous that their Savior died the death of a common criminal.

Christianity is difficult to follow, even more now that Nero has accused them of lighting Rome on fire. Many suffer at the arenas around the Roman Empire, not a few crucified.

Of Jesus' apostles, several have already met their end by the hands of evil people. Some have gone to such great lengths to preach of Jesus that no one knows what has become of them.[31]

But now the old man, Paul, is being taken back to Rome by Roman soldiers, and once again, his wrists are in chains. He was accused of helping organize the fire in Rome. This is not true, but the unbelieving Jews succeed in the false charges, and now Paul is taken here.

And so is another famous apostle on the way to Rome. His name is Simon Peter, one of the original twelve apostles. But he is being taken here by order of Nero, hearing of his importance in the Christian religion.

But Paul is going with one of his trusted friends in Messiah Jesus, the doctor Luke. Paul is coming with others, but Luke was with him a long while, helping in preaching the good news of Jesus, the good news so hated now. The doctor even wrote two books about Christianity: The Good News of Luke and The Acts of the Apostles. Both are dedicated to a certain Theophilus.

Once arriving in Rome, Paul is not given a rented place this time. He is taken to the Tullianum, Rome's prison. It is a dark and cold place. What could Paul do here?

Paul sends some of his friends to the assemblies of Christians founded by Paul in other cities in the Roman Empire. But he cannot let his friend Luke go. So Paul is left with his few faithful, while in the prison near the Forum, and awaiting a trial before Nero again.

+

Paul is left with no advocate during his first calling. But he has to speak for himself... if he wants to do so.

Facing Nero, Paul cannot hope for a fair trial this time. Now times have changed. Paul is accused of a nine-day fire. Nero has gone worse. His Jewish wife died a year or so ago (rumor has it he kicked his pregnant wife to death), and is now married to StatiliaMessalina. She was already married, but Nero made her real husband kill himself so that Nero could marry her.

As many people as possible gather around where the trial is taking place. The Jews, as usual, accuse him of being a heretic to the Jewish faith, and of being a revolutionary. They, along with the Romans, blame him for helping with the Great Fire of Rome. But Paul had this calmness that even impresses the judges. Paul must truly be innocent of all those awful charges.

When they finally permit Paul to speak, the old man speaks of Jesus, what he had done on that cross, and that salvation is open to anyone who would hear. His own death wouldn't stop the Christian hope as long as Jesus himself lives. Paul speaks with a conviction. No one has ever heard such words as this.

Nero has the chance to accept Jesus and Christianity. It is not too late for him. But he finally orders Paul returned to prison.

Paul is taken back. And in the gloomy prison, he recognizes that his enemies would stop at nothing to secure his death. But his preaching at the judgment hall of Caesar had indeed made a big impression on the people listening. From then on, those who are touched by Paul's mission will never again be the same.

+

Paul knows his time is up. Nero may order his death in due time. So he writes a letter to one of his friends, whom he calls a son in the faith, Timothy. He obtained sheet and ink from Luke.

Paul writes to Timothy about what Timothy should do. "Remember Jesus Christ,[32] raised from the dead, descended from David, according to my gospel, in which I suffer trouble like a criminal, even with chains. But the word of Theos is not bound." Paul also pens, "Yes, and all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived."

Paul writes, "The time for my departure has come. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, and I have kept the faith. From now on a crown of righteousness is laid up for me, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing."

Then the letter turns personal. "Diligently try to come to me soon." He mentions that he is with Luke, and he bids him bring Mark too, another disciple. Keeping in mind the coldness of the prison, he writes, "Bring with you the cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, but especially the parchments."

He concludes his letter with the assurance that Jesus will be with Timothy.

+

Simon Peter is also lowered into the prison. He has just arrived in Rome, a prisoner because he is a Christian.

Now Peter and Paul, who hadn't seen each other in years, are in the same damp dungeon. They speak of their Christian experiences. They tell each other they are ready to die for Jesus. They know that when Jesus comes again, they will be raised from their graves.

Peter had written a letter before, but he wants to write another one as a follow-up. In this second letter to the assemblies of Christians he helped found, Peter writes about prophecy. "For no prophecy at any time was produced by the will of man, but holy men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from Theos."

Peter also warned of false prophets and teachers. He may have known that there are plenty in Jerusalem. Then Peter gives an assurance that Jesus will come back to earth. "Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these things, be diligent that you may be found by him in peace, spotless, and blameless. Keep in mind that the presence of our Lord means salvation, even as our beloved brother Paul has also written to you according to the wisdom given to him."

While Peter is in prison, he calls to mind the words Jesus had spoken to him after his resurrection, "Truly, truly I say to you, when you were young, you dressed yourself and walked where you desired. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go."

Peter, despite the chains, tries to extend his arms. He then recalls the crucifixion of Jesus, how his arms were stretched on the beam. And Peter recognizes that he would die crucified like Jesus was years ago.

Paul, on the other hand, will not be crucified. He is a Roman citizen, who thus is spared crucifixion. He is not under the sentence of Florus, but Nero, who still respects Roman citizenship. Paul will instead be beheaded.

And it won't be long now.

And besides, Jerusalem only has five years left.

[31] Explanations for their fates were written in texts that would later be known as apocryphal. Their accuracy can be traced, however, if the apocryphal texts are based on oral tradition.

[32] Greek for "the Messiah". Paul wrote in Greek to Timothy.