Chapter 6: Worst First

I stand by the door anxiously checking the time on my phone over and over. I wait for it to be 7:00 PM, the time Evan said he would be picking me up. I decide to just wear a simple black dress and flats. I look down at my apparel and wonder if it's too dressy or not dressy enough. But before I can get too paranoid to change, Evan's car pulls up.

I smile instantly, knowing it's going to be an amazing night; One I've been waiting for since I first saw him at the party.

I lock up the house and climb into his car.

"Ready?" he asks smiling excitedly over at me.

"Ready." I say, smiling back with the same, if not more, excitment.

About 20 minutes later we're waiting for our table at Eleven Madison Park. The woman at the podium asks for the name. Evan smiles as he says,

"Peters."

I smirk and look away. But soon my smile diminishes as the woman informs us,

"There's no reservation for Peters on the list. Are you sure you have the right time and name?"

Evan furrows his brow as he replies.

"Yeah, it has to be Peters, for 7:30."

"Im very sorry, but you can't eat here without a reservation, and you don't seem to have one."

"No. This has to be a mistake. I can fix this. I know I got a reservation."

"But it's not in the..."

"Yeah, I got that. It's not in the stupid book!" he cuts her off, angry that the night wasn't going as planned. He taps his foot and then speaks.

"Where's the manager?"

Half an hour later, we sit at a local Subway, ordering a BLT on Italian bread.

Evan looks at the ground in disappointment. When he looks up, I see pain in his eyes. He speaks,

"Taissa, I am so sorry we didn't get to eat at Eleven Madison Park. I swear I got reservations." he shakes his head and looks back down to the ground. I touch his arm and reply,

"Evan. It's fine. You were right. And they were just stupid."

He laughs still looking down.

"And I bet their food wasn't event that good." I whisper before smiling at him. He smiles back and grabs my hand.

"You are just...amazing." he looks me in the eyes. Now I'm the one looking at the ground as my cheeks get hot. Then he grabs the sandwiches and states,

"I'll tell you what. We can go back to your place, eat these awesome sandwiches, and then watch whatever movie you want. And next time we have a date, I promise to cook for you."

I smile and respond,

"Sounds like a plan. But you really don't have to cook for me to make up for tonight. It wasn't your fault."

"Who said I was making up for tonight? It might have started bad, but there's still a chance." he winks.

We walk back to the car and start down the road.

"Plus," he continues and pauses before finishing. I turn to look at him to wait for the end of his statement.

"Maybe I just wanted to show off my mad cooking skills."