Chapter 17: One Too Many

Clink.
We gently tap our 8th shot glasses together and throw them back. I slam it down on the bar and the small audience that has gathered around us hoots and hollers. I yell along and pump my fist watching Evan shrug in defeat. He warned me that he wasn't as prone to drunkenness as I may be. He's had 2 drinks and 8 shots and he still seems to be in control. I, on the other hand, slowly shift in and out of awareness of what's going on around me.

"I think you've had enough for tonight." Evan chuckles and leads me by the arm and waist away from the bar and the dozen empty shot glasses scattered around the glass countertop. I step off the stool and almost fall down the 3 small stairs leading up to the bar, but at the last minute Evan grabs my waist and holds me up.

"You had fun, didn't you?" I speak through slurred words. He looks over and laughs quietly to himself before replying,

"Not as much as you did."
I smile and we are headed to the exit. My ears are shocked at the sudden change from insanely loud to eerily quietness in the empty hallways.
The floor seems to jolt beneath me. The walls shake and swirl and shrink. My heart is racing. My mind is blurry.
We pass an old couple heading toward the French dining place down the hall for a romantic midnight snack. I laugh and wave as they pass. Evan laughs even more and tries to control me. He leans me against the wall to push the elevator botton.
Once we're inside, I slide down and sit on the floor. The elevator makes my head whirled and confused. He slides down beside me and gently laughs while staring at me.

"What?" I ask too loudly.

"There's is absolutely no situation where you're unattractive in any way." He chuckles and looks up at the lights flashing the floor number we're passing through.

"Who would've known you'd be drawn to the loud and rambunctious drunks." I laugh as I slurr all the sounds and syllables together slowly.
He laughs again and soon I'm joining him.
And that's the last thing I remember. Sitting in the elevator.
Laughing side by side.

Shorter one this time guys.
Sorry about that.
But chapters 18 and 19 with be coming to you shortly. There will also he a huge conflict coming up soon.
So stay tuned to find out what it is.
Thanks for reading.
-Alyssa D.