Chapter 28: The Teasing Truth

The next day, I knew I couldn't get out of filming. I've been taking too many personal days and just need to get back to work without fearing what could happen with Evan there.

I arrive at the house, set my stuff down and start looking around for Evan before heading to makeup and costume. I find him in the dining room on his phone by the window.

"Hey." I say, lightly tapping his shoulder. When he turns around he gives me a huge smile and starts to hug me, catching me completely off guard.

"I missed you. Are you alright? Are you still sick?" He pulls away and I see genuine relief and a little concerned in his eyes, which begins to reassure me.

"No, no. I'm fine. Thanks. Just eager to get back to work again." I say to him and he nods. "Are you busy after filming today?" I ask, fumbling my hands together.

"No. Why?" He asks me, furrowing his brow slightly.

"We should grab a bite to eat. Or go to Smoothie King. If you want to." I say, quicker than I should have out of nervousness.

"Of course. That sounds great. I'll meet you after filming and we can head there." He gives a bright smile and we both go off to get ready to film.

A few hours later, I'm sitting alone, back in my normal clothes, in the dining room, waiting for Ev to finish his last scene. Soon, I hear the director shout,
"Alright guys, since we've been right on schedule, we have some extra time to spare. So let's keep filming for the next scene with Tate."

I give a sigh and know it'll be about another thirty minutes. I look around and everyone else has left but the cameramen, director and a couple actors needed for the next scene. And me. By myself. With my stomach growling.

Soon I hear the door quietly open and turn to see the last person I expected or wanted to be here: Emma.
She looks around a little and then notices I'm there and gives me a snobby, fake smile as she walks over in her big fur coat and boots.

"Well if it isn't the moody teen, little Violet." She scrunches her nose and pats the top of my head. I stand and start to get angry. But I know I have to keep it under control. If things don't work out with talking to Evan, she's my plan B.

"What are you doing here?" I try to ask casually, but it comes out far too sarcastic.

"Just wasting time, I suppose." She looks around a little disgusted at the house around her.

"Nothing better to do with your time I guess?" I get sassier by the second. She looks back toward me, looking me up and down in judgement.

"And what is it you're doing sitting her all alone?" She returns.

"Waiting for Evan. We're going out after filming." I say, trying to rub it in her face. But she only starts to giggle.

"Wow. I did NOT see that coming. I can't believe you didn't leave him. I mean, after what happened.." She starts to act innocent but I see right through it. However, I cant ignore her words and have to ask what she means.

"What are you talking about?" I try to sound more angry than confused.

"Oh wait. Evan didn't tell you yet? About what the two of us did the night of some big party not too long ago?" She actually manages to fool me into the thinking she's genuinely surprised, but only for a moment. "Well, I don't know why he wouldn't fess up. He said he REALLY liked it. But then again, maybe THAT'S why he didn't tell you...hm." She flips her hair and starts to strut towards the door, her boots making a loud bang with every step she takes.

I am left behind in utter shock and confusion and despair. I don't know what to think. What to say. What to do. Plan A just flew straight out the window and Plan B just forced its way in front of me.

But I guess now I know what I wanted to know. Now I understand. He was guilty. He slept with Emma, never told me, and felt guilty about it.

Or maybe that's not it at all. Maybe, like she said, he enjoyed it too much to make it stop. He's still with her now. And hasn't confessed because he doesn't want it to stop.

Either way, he lied to me. And acted like it was all okay. The closest I got to someone else was the guy I danced with at the party. Neither of us were near sober and I didn't even know his name. I'm not even sure I remember his face. We didn't sleep together or even kiss. We just danced. That's it.

I break away from my thoughts and turn to see Evan, who is looking and nodding at the director as he's being given instructions for the next scene. The longer I look, the longer it all starts to bubble and grow inside me. The rage and hate. The pain and confusion.

Why did I let myself get into this? Why did I have to let this get so out of control? What was stopping me from just ending it sooner?

Oh yeah. My heart. My stupid, foolish, crazy heart. It's about time I stop listening to it for once.

AN:
Thanks for sticking around for yet another chapter. I hope you enjoyed it and am working very hard to keep up with writing it. I wish I could update more often.
Hopefully we can get it up to 10K before the end of the week.
As always, tap that star and drop any thoughts in the comments!
-Aly