Chapter 9: (Almost) Disastrous

After a few hours of waiting and trying to distract myself to contain the excitement, Evan pulls up. I grab all my stuff and rush out the door.

"Ready for the Reds?" He asks with a huge grin on his face as I buckle my seat belt.

"Always." I simply reply with so much excitement in my voice he only laughs and pulls away from the curb and down the street.

"Washington." Evan shouts pointing to the bright yellow jeep that passes us on the right. After a few hours of talking and listening to music, we were getting kinda bored. So I suggested the license plate game. Just for passing time.

He looks over at me through his large shades. The warm air drifting in from the open windows blows his shaggy hair. He shakes his head and smiles before turning back to face the road ahead.

"What?" I ask with a slight laugh in my tone. He shrugs and glances over before replying,

"Our first trip together as a couple." He says it in a mockingly cheesy tone that only makes me laugh more. Then I stop in my tracks and take off my sunglasses to look at him more clearly. I try to put a small smile on my face to hide the seriousness I really feel about what I say next.

"So, we're officially a couple now?"

He instantly looks over. As the smile runs away from his face I see fear creep into his eyes.

"Are we...do you not..." He stutters trying to focus on what to say next and driving at the same time.

"I mean, I thought we were. I want us to be. Only if you do...?"

I get serious and instantly try to calm him down.

"Ev. It's okay. I do. I want us to be. Really." I pause and see him sigh in relief. "I just wanted to be sure so we were on the same page here." I smile trying to lighten the mood from that almost disastrous moment.

He smiles back before saying,

"Well that's good. Cause that's sorta what I've been telling everybody." He laughs and shakes his head again. I stare at my hands in my lap, biting my lip to contain the huge smile I WANT to display. I try to keep it under control but I fail, of course.

"What? Is that bad? Do you not want anyone to know, or...?" He thinks he did something wrong.

"No, no. It's fine." I laugh. He always wants to make sure he didn't upset me. He never does. Never.

"It's actually kinda...cute." I slightly smirk as the last word escapes my lips.

"Not as cute as you." He simply replies in a serious tone, but with another bright smile on his face.

We drive for another hour, holding hands the entire way.

*Really sorry guys. Guess I wasn't thinking and forgot to publish this chapter. So we kinda skipped one. But it won't do any confusion. So it should be good.*