Chapter 25: Lunch Date

After having a lengthy conversation with his manager, Evan plops beside me on the couch and gives a big smile.

"It is done. We can officially be a public couple without anyone or anything getting in the way of us."

I give him a big smile back and breathe out a huge sigh of relief. We eventually get up and get ready to head to filming. Another big day of progress ahead of us.

We get to the Murder House, and I couldn't be any happier when Evan reaches for my hand and our fingers intertwine as we walk towards the front door. I try to control the butterflies as we approach the house, but it's no use. I guess I don't have to worry about it anyways since we don't have anyone to make us stop how we feel now.

"Good morning, you two." Our director rushes past giving a short greeting. We wave and smile back and continue to go to our dressing rooms. Before parting ways, Evan turns me to face him in a less crowded hallway. He looks down at me and gently pushes a strand of hair behind my ear before speaking.

"Hey, so I was thinking we could go grab some lunch today after shooting. On me." he gives me a snarky smile, knowing I don't like him always having to pay for me. I roll my eyes and playfully push him away from me before responding.

"Okay fine. That sounds great. See you soon?"

"Yep." He plants a soft kiss on my lips and the fluttering in my stomach intensifies, like it was the first time we kissed in his car, surrounded by the sound of falling rain. And as I stand there and watch him walk away, I promise myself to never forget that day, that kiss.

We get through shooting and I'm sad that I don't have many scenes with Evan today, but it only helps me to look forward to our lunch together. After we finish the last scene of the day, I hurriedly change and grab my things. I rush toward the front door but stop dead in my tracks to see Evan speaking with the snobby blond girl, who I've learned goes by Emma. I quickly debate whether I should intervene whatever they are doing or if I should wait to see what happens.

I decide to back up and stand behind a small group of camera men by the edge of a wall to watch what happens between them. I see her reach out toward him and put her hand on his arm. He looks down at it and back up at her. I can't tell what the expression on his face is, but it seems worried or maybe nervous. She just looks sneaky and suspicious. She eventually gives him a big smile before flipping her hair as she turns to walk away. I watch him look around nervously before I start to walk toward him.

"Hey you." He gives me a genuine smile, all the nerves I just witnessed scattered from his face instantly. I try with all my might to smile in return without looking confused or worried myself. Maybe we can talk about it at lunch.

As we get into his car and start driving toward the restaurant, I wonder if I should bring up Emma or not. I want to believe it was nothing. But I don't want to look like a fool if I turn out to have been blind about something that was going on right under my nose the whole time. On the other hand, I don't want to seem too obsessed or clingy towards him. He has never given me any reason to not trust him. I should keep that in mind before bombarding him with ridiculous suspicions.

We arrive at the small restaurant and decide to eat outside, since the weather couldn't be any more perfect: mostly cloudy, but with a warm breeze in the air to keep you from shivering. We order our food and start to eat, keeping conversation light for the most part. I finish my grilled artisan chicken sandwich and take a small sip of sweet tea before looking up and choking.

Of all people, I see Emma walking toward our table. he gives me that million-dollar smile and I give a half-hearted one back as I try to gain my breath back. Evan notices my reaction and turns around to see the source of it. When he turns back, I see the fear and nervousness return to his eyes for a split second before he composes himself. But my worried expression towards him lasts longer.

But I have no choice but to look down and pretend to be busy when she stands right at the edge of our table, with her giant sunglasses and designer clothes. She doesn't look like the type of person to be dining here, but I guess it's her goal to look better than everyone around her. And today, I feel like she has succeeded.

"He guys! How nice to see you here." Her sqeaky voice makes me cringe. I look up to give an obviously annoyed, but half trying smile. I see her look me up and down uncomfortable and then turn to give Evan a wide smile. He gives her one back and I look at him in disbelief. How does he not hate her?! I have to remember that he needs to be professional to keep his job, and she's never done anything wrong to him, so he doesn't have much reason to hate her. But that doesn't stop me from hating her.

"Evan, don't forget the meeting tomorrow at 6. Don't be late. I'm so excited!" She start to clap, completely ignoring my presence, only making me steam more. "I'll see you then. Bye!" She gives another famous smile and then turns to me awkwardly looking at me like I'm trash on the side of the road and gives a tiny wave before walking off.

Evan clears his throat awkwardly before continue to eat avoiding my stare toward him. I eventually speak up, calmly and quietly, already hating how small and meek my voice sounds.

"So...what's going on tomorrow at 6?" I start to stir the ice in my drink and he respond, trying to sound as casual as possible.

"My old manager had this movie lined up for me before I fired him this morning, and the director and producer still want me to be in it...and Emma is also in it..." He get's really quiet at the end. I decide to respond casually as well, not wanting to over-react about anything.

"That's great. At least he got you a good movie gig before pissing you off." He just nods and we continue to eat until we finish and he drops me off at my place.

I put down my purse and keys and fling onto the couch, hugging one of the pillows. I look up to the ceiling as my mind gets lost deep in thought about what has happened today.

It might not mean anything. It's just another movie they both happen to be in. No big deal. Just acting.

But why was he so nervous? Why was he able to pretend he was happy around her? Or maybe it isn't pretending at all.

Eventually my mind becomes too crowded to think straight and my head starts to pound. I close my eyes and drift off to sleep, hoping i'll be able to sort through this situation later, and hoping it's small enough to fix easily. But I have a bad feeling it won't be..

AN: Hey guys! I'm going to apologize for any spelling or grammar errors. I'm usually really picky about that and I always go back to make sure I fix them all. But I'm writing this at a really late time of the night, so sorry for not going back to check.

Like I said before, classes are done, meaning more updates. Hopefully this will be the first of many. As always, Tap that Star and Drop any thoughts in the Comments below. I always read them.

-Aly