Chapter 22: Envy Strikes

Monday comes too soon. And before I know it, I'm waking up to the dreadful screams of my alarm. I groan as I roll out of bed and drag myself to the closet.
I get cleaned up and dressed for work. As I pour my coffee, I begin to smile as I think back to the amazing time I had with Evan in Cincinnati. And I'm more thrilled to see him today.

I pull up to the Murder House scene and walk up the steps. Upon entering, there's already an evident sense of panic in the air. Everyone is rushing to prepare the lights and wardrobe and makeup.

I start to walk to my dressing room and pass by Evan's which was dark and empty. Clothes and makeup all over the floor and dresser. But no Evan.

I continue to my room to get ready for the day. After getting dressed and made up, I take a seat in the chair labeled with my name and watch as the adults film a few scenes. I find myself constantly looking around the room for Evan to arrive.

Soon I hear a car drive up and look to see who has arrived. When I walk to the front door, I stop in my tracks.
I see Evan getting out of the car and stopping to wait for a girl who was in the passenger seat to get out.
They begin to walk toward the house together. I watch them exchange a hug from the window before she turns to leave and he stands to watch.

Maybe it's a sister or cousin.

I try to convince myself not to worry. But something about the way she flirtatiously waved goodbye before pulling out of the driveway makes me question my theory more than just a little.

Evan walks into the house and I have just enough time to run the other way to avoid him seeing my flustered face.
How could this happen? I dont understand why things changed so quickly. What happened over the weekend that caused such a turn of events? 

I eventually return to my chair to watch filming continue. He is already there watching and I feel the tension rise as I take a seat. We sit for a few moments in silence. I can't decide if I should speak up and try to get answers or if I should avoid the subject altogether. But I know that avoiding it isn't an option. Even if I try to forget and move on, the questions will drive me crazy. And I will still see him every day. It would be easier to find out now.

"So how was your weekend?" I try to act casual as I question him. I don't look towards him as I speak. After a moment, I wonder if he will even answer me.

He gives a very short
"Fine." And continues to sit in silence. I hear him nervously gulp and I begin to go at a second attempt.

"So I was just wondering what..." I started to pry. But he suddenly stands up and leaves.

I only sit there staring after him I hate and confusion. I glare straight ahead and don't speak out side of scenes for the rest of the day. When the day is over, I gather my things in a rush and begin to find my way out, not saying goodbye to anyone.

Just before I can reach the front door, I run into Evan. he mumbles a sorry and I just stare up at him in disbelief and anger. He looks down on me with a sense of longing. I felt like I could see the heart break in his eyes. We stay there for only seconds, but the universe drags it out to hours in my head. The moment is broken when a screechy voice comes between us.

"Well hello. You must be Taissa. You're playing the creepy, moody teen, right?" the girl I had seen him arrive with earlier was now looking me in the eyes. They were bright and sneaky. It reminded me of a poisonous snake ready to attack at any moment. And I happened to be her next victim. She stares at me waiting for a response. But, I'm too caught off guard by my instant hate for her and her pouty lip and annoying voice and winey attitude. And I can't get my mind off of how he can like any ounce of her.

And I can't, for the life of me, get his eyes out of my head. The mysterious longing and pain they held only seconds before. Now he looks at the ground clearing his throat to speak. But I answer her before he can say anything.

"Yeah, that's right. Who do you play? Oh, wait...?" I say with every bit of sarcasm I can stand at the moment. The look of shock I get in return is more than satisfying. But it doesn't change that he will leave with her and not me. It doesn't change that only 2 days ago we kissed in his car after an amazing experience in Cincinnati and I instantly couldn't stop myself from falling for him, but it was all too soon, because he was taken before he was even mine to claim.  

And now I'm left lonely and confused.

"Come on. Let's get to our dinner party." she gives me a smirk and flips her hair as she exits. He looks at me once more before going, and in the instant I get before he leaves, I try to search his eyes, but find nothing. It's too late.

The moment had passed.

Or rather, it was ruined.

-Hey guys! I know it has been a while. I left this story for a really long time, but came back to see how many views and votes it had gotten and decided not to give up on it yet. I've got some big ideas for this book in mind and i'm super excited to share them with you.

Thank you again so so so much for reading and being supportive of this book. As always, vote, comment any thoughts or suggestions, and I'll be back soon with another addition!