47. Quaranta­sette

I was asleep on our way to Calgary, where my mother Lara Scheer lives

I was asleep on our way to Calgary, where my mother Lara Scheer lives. Mario texted me in the middle of the night as we were ready to leave. Just like he had estimated we reached there at 9 a.m. Mario pulled over in front of a 10 story building, each of the balconies had flower pots hanging over the railing with blooming flowers accentuating. My lips lifted in an involuntary smile then I began to chuckle, Mario had become accustomed to my mood swings so he didn't react.

Cupping my cheek in my palms my eyes grazed over all the apartments, the luxury cars parked outside. I had this presumption made to find my mother living in a ghetto of forest lawn, where I will be needing Mario's back, considering she gave birth at 16.

When I set foot outside the car a sense of calm engulfed me. I felt like a weight I didn't know I had been carrying has been lifted off my chest.

I stood on the pavement keeping my gaze on the building. When I was first informed by my parents regarding the truth behind my birth and Lara's decision to come back into my life. I had the picture of a woman similar to my looks, but with yellow teeth, chapped lips, hyper acne, and jerky movements like she is shivering due to the chilly wind. Her body trembling weakly to get another fix. How she would first barge into my life like a woman whose motherly instincts have kicked in and then she'll ask for money. This place certainly doesn't seem like a habitat of a crack addict.

I let out humorless laughter, the passerby sent a smile my way instead of looking at me with a frown. Oh, Canada.!

My feet were moving before I could make my decision. The doorman informed me that Lara has gone out for a while and might return after an hour. I walked back to the car. As Mario and I were eating the apple fritters for breakfast a tendentious idea came to my mind.

"Do you know where my biological father lives.?"

*****

I was dumbstruck, as the drug store my biological father owns and runs is only 10 minutes drive from the apartment building where Lara lives. My lips curled down in disgust, a shudder passed through me at the idea of them rekindling their high school romance.

"They are not together, signora. Zachary married 2 years ago." Mario grumbled, startling me out of my thoughts.

"Is my body language that easy to read.?" I ask, pouting. 

"A bit, yes. But we are taught to be vigilant, reading body language it's a part of-"

"Part of your job.?" I scoffed quietly, rolling my eyes.

"Yes, I was in the Navy SEAL." But he heard it.

"Navy SEAL.? Then why are you... No..." I outstretched my hand, palms out in warning.
"No..no.. no... Don't tell me. Don't ruin the military for me. I have the utmost respect for them." I rambled, scurrying out of the car running like there is a ghost chasing after me.