36. Trentasei

Eurielle - Hate Me

She stops walkin', walkin'

He stops fallin', fallin'

He looks her in the eyes and he says

Hate me, break me, let me feel as hurt as you

Hours later Zara began to flinch, fighting the air, whispering incorrigible words

Hours later Zara began to flinch, fighting the air, whispering incorrigible words. Gently holding the back of her head and hip I helped her to a sitting position. I call her name, gently patting her cheek. Her eyes shot open, they looked unfocused. She looked right past me, but she still clung to me. Her body was drenched in sweat, her t-shirt clinging to her body despite I had changed them twice. This continued for a few more times, she would sleep clinging to me. Her ragged breathing would even out eventually as she would drift off.

Lorenzo showed up to bring us food. I only helped Zara with the soup and medicines, whilst mine remained untouched. The incoming calls were ignored, no matter whose name flashed on the screen. I had my priorities set.

It was the third night since Zara's fever spiked up. She looked better than the previous days. When I spoon-fed her, she actually looked at me. She would only mumble my name, first calling for me to make sure it was me. Then repeat it over and over for me to help her.

It was becoming real now. Zara is coming back to her senses, she had to face the reality. See the man she said she fell in love with. Lorenzo's words echoed around me. I could make her believe that she had imagined everything. But isn't that what I had been doing since the moment I met her.?

I gaslighted her in the process of saving her from getting hurt by the people who openly expressed who the fuck they were. I ended up hurting her the most. Her parents texted her on her birthday, asking if they could visit her. They were her parents they could fucking show up as a surprise. They had fucked up their relationship and were not ready to man up and face it.

Slowly, I pushed to my feet. Zara had just jerked awake from her sleep, watching her surroundings manically with saucer-like wide eyes. She pressed her palm everywhere around the bed, checking the soft surface as though anything would pop out from underneath any minute now. Her mouth released a soft inhale every time she touched the mattress to find the small area to be safe from any harm. But there was no clear rise and fall of her chest, she had not been breathing properly just drawing shallow relieved breath.

My heart ached to see what I have done to her. I felt dampness on my cheek realizing that I have been crying all along. Slowly approached her, not meaning to startle her by any means as she was yet to acknowledge my presence sitting only 3 feet away from her.

Zara shrieked, blanching to the headboard upon seeing me approach. Broken eyelashes stuck to her cheek tear stricken cheeks. She blinked rapidly, realizing the man to be me she launched herself at me, hugging me tightly, pulling her small frame on top of my lap, straddling me in a vice-like grip.