48. Quarant­otto

Home - Gabrielle Aplin

Cause they say home is where your heart is set in stone

Is where you go when you're aloneIs where you go to rest your bones

It's strange how quickly your life can flip 180. Ever since the clock ticked and this new year began, unbelievable events began happening over and over. From finding the love of my life to be a criminal, going out on dates back to back with strangers. Losing your pet dog you loved like a child... Learning the parents you loved so much and never possibly gave any reason to regret the decision for taking you in to be conspiring against you. Grabbing on the first opportunity to get rid of you. And the strangest of them all, pacing on the woman's balcony whose single decision caused these perfectly placed dominoes to fall one by one.

All because her hippie and vegan crossover looking boyfriend quipped in offering to cook lunch for us. Both Lara and I nodded with tears still streaming down our eyes. I'd headed toward the balcony when Gio called Lara to help him find something in the kitchen.

The sliding doors between the house and the balcony slide open. Lara's small voice greeted me.

"Zara, can I.?" She sought permission.

"This is your house. You don't have to ask for my permission." I said dryly, shrugging my shoulders as my gaze was hooked on the little yellow flower on the flower pot.

"But this is your personal space. So obviously I am gonna need your permission." She said, I turned around to face her. She was biting her nervously, waiting for my answer. Gian says I also do it a lot and look so cute as I do. She was wearing a white cardigan over her clothes to save her from the cool breeze. Our twin-like similarities looked more accurate now.

"Why didn't you try to see me." I blurt, after a moment. As she remained standing under the door frame. If she wants to enter my makeshift personnel space then she better answers me.

There still wasn't any shame in her eyes or regret. She nodded in agreement to answer me, coming out, sliding the door shut behind her.

"You know when I was in school. My clothes used to be similar to this..." She pointed to the clothes she was wearing. "...Only the ends of this top used to be in fringes and instead of these ankle-length jeans I wore shorts and dark lipstick." She added so quickly, the wind would drive her words away with them. But I heard it, I let out a bark of laughter over the young goth Lara.