I was stunned, and blinked my eyes as I didn't know what should I say. No wonder he looked so determined to help me  —  he must have known how did it feel to lose a family member. 

"I'm — I'm sorry." 

He sighed, raising his head to look in front. "I knew how hard it was to lose a sister. I don't want you to feel the same thing. That's why I helped you, Elle. I knew you wouldn't forgive yourself if you lost her." Riley explained, and his voice strained. 

I couldn't imagine, what Riley had been through in his life  — he lost his sight, and he lost his sister. 

I went closer to him, ignoring that I was still sick. "Can I ask you what happened?" I tried, looking at him intently. "You don't have to answer, if you're not okay with it."

I could see he was hesitating, and I thought he wouldn't tell me before he finally spoke, "I killed her."

My eyes widened, and my heart stopped beating. "Riley, don't say that. What happened?" I asked hurriedly, and I didn't know why  —  but it was painful to hear something like that coming out of his mouth. 

He rubbed his face, obviously trying to hold himself together. "She's with me during the accident, and she died on that day. I was driving the car, and if only I didn't...." Riley trailed off. 

I assumed her sister died during the accident  —  the accident that caused him to be blind. No wonder he said he killed her. Riley obviously lost everything on that day, and I wondered for a moment how did this boy cope with everything. 

When my parents died —  I thought I lost everything. I didn't know what to do, and what could I do. I cried all night, hoping God would return them back to me. I swore I'd do anything as long as He gave my parents back to me. 

But I finally realized things like that would never happen —  things like happily ever after never exist.  

I wrapped my arm around him, giving him a side-hug. "It's not your fault," I whispered, tears running down my cheeks. This whole thing made me remind of my parents, somehow. 

He flicked his eyes to look down at me. "Why're you crying?" he asked slowly as he probably heard that I was crying while hugging him.

I shook my head. "Nothing. I'm just always emotional like this," I said, faking a laugh. I wasn't ready to tell him everything  —  I was still afraid of the fact my parents died. I looked up to him, smiling. "What's her name?"

His lips curved into that warm smile something I had been missing this whole day. "Lucy." Riley told me.

I smiled. "That's a beautiful name."

"Yeah, she's beautiful too.." Riley trailed off before he continued, "Lucy was just nine when the accident happened." His smile disappeared instantly from his face. 

"She's lucky to have a brother like you, Riley."

He snorted, clenching his fists. "Lucky? I killed her, Ellie. I killed my own sister. She's — she's just nine! She's so young..."

I cut him off, "But she had a brother who loves her so much. Lucy is happy up there, and I'm sure she wants you to be happy."

Riley shook his head. "I won't forgive myself. I killed her," he stated painfully. "If only I was careful that night. If only I didn't bring her along with me she'd still alive. She'd still be here."

"You shouldn't blame yourself for what happened. It's fate. Blaming yourself would never bring Lucy back alive, Riley." I murmured, but I didn't think he was even listening to what I say. He looked terribly guilty to himself.