Chapter 10: A Close Call

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟑

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟑

        It had been days since your first study session in the Potions classroom with Sirius. As the holidays approached, to your surprise, he didn't mind studying after school hours before he had to return home for Christmas. And conveniently, Slughorn was more than willing to lend you his classroom during the weekdays. Slowly but surely, you could see Sirius improving on his brewing skills — and almost actually enjoying it with each session. As opposed to the other pair studying for the class.

        "So how goes studying with your arch nemesis, James?" Remus teases, looking up from his book.

        You and the Marauders — minus Sirius — sat around the Gryffindor common room. Remus was on one of the armchairs by the fireplace while Peter, frightened out of his wits, sat on the other across from him. You and James sat comfortably on the couch. He had his wand out, waving it aimlessly, as he pointed it just above Peter's head.

        "Absolute nonsense." James groans, obviously hating the fact that he has to spend his free time with Severus, "It's horrible enough I have to breathe the same air as him."

        "J-James, p-please." Peter begs, his voice quivering in fear as he tightly grips onto the sides of the chair,  "Take the spider away."

        "Stop being so mean." You scold, playfully slapping James on the shoulder.

        "Yeah, James. You know how scared he is about spiders." Remus adds with slight amusement, making no movement to stop his antics.

        Ignoring the both of you, James waves the eight-legged creature to softly land on Peter's head, "It's not hurting you, Peter."

        Peter jumped, holding onto the chair for dear life, "It's on my head." And looks up through his hair, feeling the rustling of its legs.

        A mischievous smile tugged on the edge of James' lips as he whispered, "Engorgio."

        And then all you could hear was Peter's loud, horrified shrieking that bounced off the walls as he jumped out of his chair and ran out onto the next room with James cackling and running closely behind him.

        "Poor Peter." Remus chuckles, shaking his head as the sound of their voices dissolved.

        "What was that about?" You hear Sirius behind you.

        You turn around to see him letting go of his hands from his ears, you grab the textbooks on the space beside you and stand up, "Took you long enough."

        He shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants, "Sorry. Marlene needed help with... things."

        And here you thought he was smoother than that. You hummed skeptically, raising an eyebrow as you walked around the couch, "I'm sure it was quite important." And then you noticed the dark spot that peeked through the collar of his dress shirt, you rolled your eyes and nodded at it, "Hide that bruise of yours, will you?"