Chapter 31: Bonds that Break II

— 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

— 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

⚠️ TW: Sexual Assault

        It was the weekend right after the OWLs and everyone was in the Great Hall for supper when James retold the incident during their wandering to complete the map. When they encountered Severus by the Black Lake, James had the bright idea to confront him concerning your affliction, eager to know what progress he's made so far.

        "It's because he wouldn't share any of his own findings about your curse!" James whisper-shouts from across the table, his head bent low in case someone could overhear. "We'd cover more ground if we just put our heads together."

        You raise a skeptical eyebrow. "Oh, so now you suddenly want to work with Severus?" Scoffing, you shake your head unbelievingly. "Don't go making me as your excuse to pick a fight, James."

        James blinks back, pulling away in surprise at the jolt of betrayal your words caused. "I was just trying to—" His mouth hangs open, in an attempt to reason with you until he defeatedly sinks back in his seat, arms crossed in front of him. "Fine, whatever."

        You let out a sigh, your voice turning soft and understanding rather than harsh and accusal, "Look, I appreciate the thought. I really do. And I'm not defending him for what he called Lily, but you didn't have to string him up from the ground in the first place."

        When James refused to speak and defend himself, you realised he had no intention of continuing the discussion. He was only looking out for you, but his ego got the better of him. With a roll of your eyes, you turn your attention back to your unfinished plate, drained and exhausted, you decide to gulp down your cup in one swig to quench the sudden dryness in your throat.

        After a few tense moments, Remus scrunches his nose, sniffing the air in Sirius' direction beside you for the fourth time this morning. "Are you sure you took a shower, mate?"

        Sirius groans, setting his sandwich down with a slight irritation in his voice. "Moony, I swear if you ask me that again."

        "Must be that wet dog smell, then," the werewolf mocks playfully.

        "Must be Y/N's time of the month?" Peter guessed, chiming in only to quickly regret saying anything at all as he avoided your death glare.

        "No, can't be," Sirius argued nonchalantly, as if the topic of a girl's bodily changes was a recurring thing in casual conversation. He took another whiff of the scent only canines can somehow pick up. "This is different from usual period blood."

        You never realised the extent of their ability to smell when girls were on their periods. Retroactive mortification from every month of your three years around Sirius and Remus hit you all at once.