Chapter 22: Lightning Storm

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

         Following everyone's arrival on the Hogwarts Express, you all gathered around in the Great Hall for the Start-of-Term feast in your respective tables, waiting for the Headmaster's usual welcoming speech.

         However, when Dumbledore stepped up onto the podium, his voice booming throughout the whole room, it wasn't his typical announcement or message concerning the new school year.

         He addressed the room with a calm voice, "Some of you may have heard that there is a dark wizard on the rise, having seen many of these so-called Dark Mark sightings around the past Summer or have heard of strange disappearances among our fellow witches and wizards. As painful it is for me to say, we may be facing dark and difficult times ahead of us. Some of you have already suffered directly at the hands of this wizard's followers."

         Hushed whispers of worried and scared students immediately flooded the Great Hall. Some expressed their nervous concerns on the topic, some started going on about the raids similar to Peter's, some quickly delved into theories and stories of who these Death Eaters and their dark leader might be.

         James, who sat beside Sirius, leaned in to whisper, a smirk on his face as he nodded in the direction of the rest of the tables, "Bet you ten Galleons one of these Slytherins are in on it. There's not a single witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in that house."

         When Sirius didn't answer, Remus angrily gave James a pointed look from across the table, "Come off it, mate."

         James simply shrugged, completely unbothered because he knew he was right.

         Almost guiltily, you glanced at the Slytherin table, scanning for Severus and hoping to prove your friends wrong. But then you remembered the black hooded stranger he was talking to when you Apparated to his neighborhood.

         Your heart sank. He couldn't possibly be?

         When your eyes landed on his familiar long hair, you're taken aback to see him looking back at you. The beating in your chest quickened nervously as his blank expression studied your surprised one. Wondering if he could hear your thoughts, Severus simply turned back to pay attention to Dumbledore in front of the room. Your eyes trailed down to Severus' hand still clutched around the same left forearm when you found him on Spinner's End.

         Dumbledore continued on with his speech, "But ensure that you are all safe within these castle walls and that no harm will come to you while you're here. A strong bond of friendship and trust may help us overcome these hard times."

         And in your peripheral vision, you could have sworn you saw Sirius glaring in the same direction of the Slytherin table.