Chapter 07: Serendipity

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟐

— 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟐

        Remus swallowed the lump in his throat, looking away from James' intense gaze, "I—I understand if you don't want to be around me anymore." He took in a deep shaky breath, "I'm a monster."

        Shocked by his words, you face him, squeezing his hands as tightly as you could, "Remus, you're not a monster. You're just—"

        James interrupts, composing himself of his anger, "We're not mad because you're a werewolf, mate. We're mad because you didn't tell us!" He takes a step back, almost hurt that his own best friend couldn't trust him, and glances at Sirius who was next to him, "We're your friends, Remus."

        Sirius nods, giving Remus a reassuring smile, "Yeah, we have your back no matter what. You've just got..."

        "A little problem." Peter finishes, nodding his head from side to side as he steps up beside the two boys.

        "A furry little problem." James lightly jokes, chuckling in an attempt to lighten the mood.

        Remus who was dumbfounded, stood motionless, his mouth wide open in an expression of stunned surprise. He saw the sincerity in their expressions, and took a moment for himself to take in their words. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. His eyes studied theirs, wondering, waiting to see if it had been all a joke, but when they didn't confirm his doubts he was speechless — a loss for words. Your tight hold on his hand was the only thing that brought him back to the surface.

        After a long aching moment, Remus finally spoke, "A-Are you really not at all afraid of me?"

        Sirius laughs, walking towards him to lightly pat his shoulder, "You're being dramatic. You fold your socks, mate. Forgive me if I'm not trembling at the sight of you." And then his smile didn't quite reach his solemn eyes, he looked away, "And besides, I've... seen worse."

        Before you could ask what was worse than turning into a werewolf, Peter pipes in, raising his hand to share his own fear, "I have worse nightmares about failing Transfiguration."

        "I think it's really cool!" James smiles wide, bouncing in his heel before coughing, "So... how'd it happen?"

        And then you and Remus tell the whole story. Reliving the night it happened, and the following years that occurred until Dumbledore came for a visit devising a plan especially for Remus so that he may attend Hogwarts like any other student. You explained how the Whomping Willow led to an abandoned house just at the edge of Hogsmeade, and that's where the two of you stay until the full moon passes.

        Once the two of you are finished, James nods his head trusting both your words in a heartbeat, "So when the two of you leave, it has absolutely nothing to do with your parents?" You and Remus look at each other confused, you simply tell them it's not what they assumed it to be, and for a moment you caught a glimpse of Sirius sighing in relief, "Is there any way we can help?"