Chapter 09: Private Sessions

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟑

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟑

        After your Potions class, Professor Slughorn instructed that you and Severus, being the top of your class, would tutor the students who were on the verge of failing — Sirius and James. They had no qualms with it, they were aware of the bare minimum effort they gave when it came to their studies.

        But as soon as Sirius and James heard that each of them needed to partner up, the two boys immediately darted for you, clearly not wanting to study under their archenemy. However, it was Slughorn who ultimately gave the final decision. With an unhappy James being paired with Severus, and you with a victorious Sirius.

        One day, the afternoon before you woke up screaming in the middle of the night, you suggested that you and Sirius study in the library to review and go over what you had learned over the term. Barely ten minutes into your study session together, he was already bored and decided that watching girls giggling about him from across the room was more interesting than listing the effects of a Doxy egg.

        Furiously, you scolded him for not paying attention, instead he slumped over the book you told him to read, saying how he was more of a 'hands on' learner. Despite the doubtful look you gave him, with a defeated sigh, you tell him to meet you at the Potions classroom the next day — which was a Saturday — the last trip to Hogsmeade before the holidays. After complaining how he'd rather spend the day with his friends, he finally caved when you threatened that he could study with Severus instead.

        "You're an hour late! And I never thought I'd hear myself say that." Sirius shouts from his seat at the far end of the empty classroom as you briskly walk in, "That's one hour of precious time I could've had at Hogsmeade today."

        Sirius, for once in his life, was actually on time. He took it upon himself to set a table ready with his cauldron and ingredients he picked from the shelves. After thirty minutes of waiting, he feared that something might have happened, knowing you weren't the type to disappear without a word. As his patience diminished and irritation arose, when you finally entered the quiet room, he was just about to give you an earful until he noticed the obvious exhaustion that was plastered on your face.

        "Sorry." You grimly mumble, placing your Magical Drafts and Potions textbook down on the table as you sit on the stool chair beside him.

        Sirius' eyes go wide, completely caught off guard by your apology and the lack of feisty attitude you usually had towards him. His lips pressed into a thin line as he studied you, noticing the dark circles that had formed under your eyes.

        He clears his throat, glancing over the pages you were flipping through, "So what're we learning today, teach?" He lightly says, a little more cheery than usual in an attempt to lighten the mood.

        "Let's see if you can brew a simple Wideye potion." You say, stopping on a specific page and handing the textbook to Sirius.

        And without another word, Sirius nods and gets to work, closely examining the instructions in the textbook with your occasional help. The ingredients had to be added into the cauldron in precisely the right order and quantities; the mixture had to be stirred exactly the right number of times.