Chapter 26: Secrets & A Shack

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

— 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

        When you came to, the first thing you felt was the soft touch of someone brushing against your hair, your cheek even before opening your eyes. You tilt your head and lean into their touch, seeking comfort and melting into the warm that slowly seeped through your entire being.

        Opening your eyes, the haze adjusting and finally coming to a clear, you see Sirius sitting on the edge of a bed, anxiously staring back at you.

        Your eyes glanced over the soft warm glow that settled on the features of his face. Worry lines that creased his brows relaxed once he noticed you were finally awake. Sirius' smile showed so much relief that you'd almost think he was about to crumble any second. Your chest ached with wanting to wrap your arms around him, to tell him you were okay, and that being worried didn't suit his cheeky face.

        But all you could muster was raising a hand to cup his cheek.

        He tucks a strand of hair away from your face, "Hey there, princess. You were out for awhile."

        "For how long?" You weakly ask.

        Turning his head, his gaze searching for an answer on the floor, "Around a day and a half." He says hoarsely. And you could tell by the obvious dark circles under his heavy-lidded eyes, he hadn't slept a wink in that given time.

        When Bane had you trapped around his grip and Sirius helplessly watched as the light drained from your eyes, he immediately made a break for the centaur. In his sprint to save you, Sirius transformed back to grab his wand, but Bane and Ronan were quicker to disappear back in the dark while Sirius barely caught you as you fell limp in his arms.

        As soon as the Marauders had fled to a safer place, Sirius never left your side on the bed while James and Peter took watch over Remus. James was worried for his best mate and a tap on Sirius' shoulder from him momentarily snapped him back to reality. He offered to watch over you at one point during the night so Sirius could get some shut eye. But Sirius ceaselessly refused, and was left to float around in the pool of his thoughts once more.

        He couldn't bring himself to retreat into the wallowing blackness while his mind solely focused on making sure you were okay.

        Finally wondering where you were, you scan your surroundings to see you were in a place you knew too well and have visited quite often over the course of your five years in Hogwarts. You were in one of the rooms back in the Shrieking Shack. The sunrise had started to seep through the boarded windows as dust particles made its appearance under the light.

        Images of the events of that night came rushing back as you slowly sat up from the rickety four-poster bed. You realise the Marauders had retreated to the next safest place they could think of without blowing Remus' cover who was still under the transformation of the full moon.