Chapter 20: Curses

— 𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

— 𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓

        "Maledictus." You whispered, letting the one word echo back in your ears, "I'm... Maledictus?" You lock eyes with Lyall, not noticing your trembling hands on the piece of paper that kept you together from falling apart.

        "I'm sorry." Lyall apologises, letting out a deep sigh, "Your mother and I were very close friends. But she never once mentioned her condition. I guess it's no wonder she disappeared from time to time." He avoids your troubling gaze and instead watches the window of his study, "I don't know much about the condition itself because they're quite rare, and I've only heard tales but what I do know for sure is that at some point... You won't be able to turn back into a human again."

        You can feel it, a sick feeling building like an unstoppable snowball in the pit of your stomach. You couldn't breath, it felt as if someone had a tight grip around your throat. Everything in the room started to blur as your heart started to race, beat harder and faster.

        Setting down the letter on the coffee table in front of you and collecting what was left of your strength, you swallowed hard, desperately trying to gather your racing thoughts. Looking everywhere else but the letter, you notice today's Daily Prophet on the side. The headline read:

MINISTER FOR MAGIC, EUGENIA JENKINS
IS FORCED FROM OFFICE
The reign of terror and the ascent to power of a mysterious dark wizard marked by strange disappearances of witches and wizards proved too much for Jenkins.

        You look back at Lyall, away from the current crisis of the wizarding world and return to your own dilemma at hand. Despite the new found revelation, you realised there was one other question left unanswered.

        "But what does my dreams have to do with it?"

        "Dreams?" Lyall asks, snapping his wide eyes to yours, scanning your face, "Are you having weird dreams?"

        Did your mother leave that part out on her letter? You wondered, but you were also sure she would have mentioned something as important as that. And if Lyall had no clue about it, then it might just be a whole separate thing to discover. But you had enough discovering for one day and you don't know if you were mentally prepared for another secret to be unveiled.

        "Nevermind. It's probably nothing."

        Studying your face, he prods on, "Are you sure? If you're having dreams its best to—"

        You shake your head dismissively, giving him your final answer. And then you were quiet for a moment, hoping Lyall couldn't hear the scream that coursed through your whole body, "So I'll eventually stay a swan... forever. And there's no cure? A spell to reverse it?"