Chapter 33: The In-Between

— 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

— 𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐄 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔

        For the first time since Remus sang you to sleep two years ago, you didn't dream. Everything was black, cold and desolate. Undisturbed by the unfathomable visions that haunted you, the sudden overwhelming sense of loneliness embraced you in the dark. You didn't know how much time had passed, how long you've been gone before you could finally make sense of your surroundings. 

        There were voices — muddled and distorted. It took most of the strength you recovered to concentrate on what you were hearing. It took a long time before you could just make out the voices in the distance. You were conscious, but you weren't awake either.

        You hear madam Pomfrey's voice, followed by the rush of fading footfalls that echoed off the stone floor. "I'll be right back. Looks like I'll need more Wormwood than expected. Don't go anywhere while I go through Professor Slughorn's wares."

        Sirius and Remus must've brought you to the Hospital Wing. Once madam Pomfrey closes the door behind her, you could hear two pairs of hurried footsteps nearing you.

        "What happened? Neither of you returned after sniffing her cup—which I admit was slightly disturbing." It was James. And you assumed the other pair that paced beside him belonged to Peter. James' voice is frantic when he says, "Peter and I had no idea where you'd gone since you grabbed the bloody map in a hurry."

        "It was Snape. He laced her drink with something. That's what the unusual smell was about. When we found her..." Sirius sighs, speaking up for Remus as he looks over to where his friend was seated by your bed, still deep in thought after what happened and couldn't so much as let out a mumble. Swallowing the lump that formed in his throat, Sirius goes on, "He'd already laid his hands on her. Bashed his face a couple times after that."

        "Good," James says sharply, clenching his fists, eager to knock out his archenemy for himself.

        "But wouldn't he come here to treat his wounds, too?" Peter inquires with a hint of worry in his voice.

        Sirius scoffs, crossing his arms and nodding in the direction of the door. "Doubt he'd be stupid enough to step through that door. Although if he did, it'd give me another chance to knock his teeth out and wear it as a necklace."

        Peter gulps. "You're terrifying when you get mad, you know that?"

        Sirius shrugs, feeling a small melancholy smile forming as his eyes wandered to where you lay in bed. "Only when it comes to her."

        You yearned to wake up, to lift a finger, to open your eyes — something. Anything to make them aware that you were conscious. But you remained absolutely still, eyes completely closed. Not a single indication to tell that you were there with them. A hushed silence filled the room before you felt a strong tug.