Chapter 05: Bonds

— 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟐

— 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟐

        You spent most of your first year hanging out with Lily, Severus, and Marlene McKinnon — whom you and Lily met once you were assigned to your designated dorm room. And half the time, you spent it with Remus. You didn't interact much with his friends James, Sirius, and Peter unless they needed your help to pull an awful prank on Severus — which you profusely protested to participate in. You, and the other girls didn't want to get caught up in the crossfire between their childish feud.

        But while you and Lily were scolding Remus and his friends from time to time, Marlene, on the hand, had developed an immense crush on Sirius — which you found hilarious but didn't have the heart to tell her.

        You always found Sirius to be quite infuriating especially when he'd disturb you for the stupidest things while you studied in the common room. James was second on your list, he was cocky; always trying to show off how good he was on the broom, and messing up his hair only because he thought it looked cool — it didn't. Peter practically worshipped his friends, always quiet but foolish; neither participating in James and Sirius' feud with Severus most of the time, but also barely making any effort to put a stop to it.

        But the worst part of being friends with them were the lies. Lying to them every month. Making up reasons why you and Remus had to suddenly leave. There was only so much the two of you could make up excuses before they caught on.

        "Again?" James sighs loudly from across the long table in the Great Hall.

        "It's a family thing." You simply say, avoiding the boys' gaze.

        "Y/N and I have to go." Remus adds, eyeing the food on his plate, clearly unable to do the same.

        As months went by, Sirius was the first to notice. The first to notice you and Remus' exhausted faces, and sometimes along with cuts and bruises riddling along your cheeks and arms despite your great efforts to cover them up.

        And the occasions that you stayed behind, you always looked worried, hardly having any sleep when Remus was gone. Sirius thought that maybe it was because you didn't want to go home with him. Sirius didn't blame you. He knew how it felt. He understood how it felt to live in an unstable household, and desperately wanted to say that it was okay to confide in him.

        "We have to visit his mom." You look at Remus, holding his hand on his lap under the table.

        He nods, his voice hoarse unable to keep lying to them but he had to, "She's ill again."

        "We're your friends, Remus. You don't have to lie to us." Sirius worriedly glanced at the two of you from across the table then fell silent for a moment, "I understand, y'know."