Chapter 11 - Light of Freedom

Chapter 11 – Light of Freedom

Monday, April 13, 2026
2:12p
Houston City Jail
Downtown, Houston, TX

Finally, the day had come for Dustin's release. The jailor walked him out the gates. He then turned to him.

"Next time, you damn assholes hire better chefs, the food was lousy." Dustin declared.

"Thank you for your time, just be good!" said the jailor.

"Whatever!" smirked Dustin.

He then came across a man selling birds in cages, outside the city jail.

"Hey, you! How much for all of them?" Dustin asked.

"All of them?" asked the man. "You want all of them?"

"Yeah, why the hell are you answering the question with a question?" asked Dustin in anger.

"Um, $80!" said the man in response to Dustin's mood. "All of them, it is."

"Yup, that's what I'm talking about!" said Dustin, then he opened all bird cages. "Okay, time for y'all to go! I'm free and you're free!"

The birds then flew away and Dustin suddenly felt a finger snap near him.

"Mitchell?" said Dustin, realizing it was his best friend. "Hey, Mitchell! You sly fox!"

"Hey!" said Mitchell smiling. "I knew one day; you'd amend your ways."

"LMAO, don't just make your point. I need to celebrate my freedom; you know what spending four years in jail was like." Dustin said.

"Well, just so you wait, I've arranged everything for you." Mitchell said. "There is a spare guest room at the orphanage."

They then got into the Jeep and begin to drive back to the orphanage.

Later, they arrived at the premises. After unloading his stuff, Dustin and Mitchell walked upstairs. On the second floor, where there was a clear view of the marketplace outside, was where Dustin's room would be.

"I've arranged for you to stay here. Will this work?" asked Mitchell.

"Sure, Katy here?" said Dustin.

"So, he's back." A female voice said, it was Katy and Dustin were amazed.

"Damn, this vixen has become a beauty." Dustin said.

"If I'm a vixen, what are you?" asked Katy.

"Fox!" said Dustin and laughed, along with the other two.

"I'll be back." Mitchell said. "Katy will help with the rest."

Katy then looked at Dustin.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" asked Katy, while smiling.

"I'm thinking it's hard to believe last I saw you was when you were only ten and almost eleven." Dustin said. "You've changed."

"But youth didn't spare you, garbage boy! Just kidding!" laughed Katy. "Missed you a lot."

"Really?"

"Really!" said Katy, then grabbed Dustin's hair. "Remember how you used to tease me like this."

"Ah, stop!" said Dustin, then he fell back and the bed broke.

"I've waited fifteen years to do that!" said Katy, laughing. "Serves you right! Oh, sorry for the bed."

"No matter, will buy a new one tomorrow." Dustin said.

Katy then left and Dustin decided to sleep on the bed, despite being broken.